Tomatoes and vegetables simmer away all day until tender, then they’re pureed to make this ultra creamy, vibrant tomato soup that is secretly loaded with veggies! Your kids will never know!
I see all kinds of recipes on Pinterest showing parents how to sneak more vegetables into their kids’ food. I pin those kinds of recipes for myself. I hate vegetables. I mean, I’m okay with potatoes. Corn. Cooked carrots and peas are tolerable. But aside from that? No. Way.
Because of this I was always adamant that my child would eat and enjoy her vegetables. When she was a baby, I made sure that she got her fair share before she would get anything remotely sweet. Broccoli. Cauliflower. Green Beans. Squash. The girl eats anything. And, to this day, she will take vegetables over anything else on her dinner plate. I actually have to mix the vegetables in to her food so she eats the rest, and then she gets upset when she sees that others around her get to have their vegetables in a separate pile.
So this recipe is for me. Though my 21 month old absolutely devoured it.
I know, as a somewhat responsible adult, that my body needs a certain amount of these kinds of things to function the way I want it to, so I force myself to eat my vegetables (as long as it’s not broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, brussel sprouts, squash, etc., etc., etc……).
And that is why I love recipes like this one. Recipes that make me feel like I’m eating a seriously decadent tomato soup and none of the vegetables that are discreetly pureed and hidden in it.
I changed the recipe a bit to add in even more vegetables, because when I made it there seemed to be a good amount of liquid for the amount of vegetables the recipe called for. I also added some additional spices and salt. The recipe allows for so much flexibility that you can add any vegetables you want as long as there is enough liquid to cook them in.
*Recipe and photos updated from the original.
*Note: the milk and flour mixture can easily be omitted to make this a gluten and dairy free option. Even without that step, the soup is rich and creamy from the pureed vegetables!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Soup (with hidden veggies!)
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 can tomato paste (156 ml)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ – 1 tbsp salt depending on the salt content in your tomatoes and broth
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red chili flakes optional
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup parmesan cheese or any other cheese you have lying around!
- Add tomatoes, carrots, onion, celery, tomato paste, chicken broth, oregano, basil and garlic to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-9 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Blend with an immersion blender in the slow cooker or transfer to the blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Keep warm in the slow cooker.
- If desired, whisk together milk and flour (this can easily be kept gluten and dairy free by omitting this step!) and stir into the soup. Let cook in the slow cooker for 15-20 minutes to thicken and to cook away the floury taste.
- Serve with cheese! (Or omit for dairy free)
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel
You might also like these soup recipes!