This easy Frozen Hot Chocolate is made with hot chocolate mix or from scratch, and comes in 3 flavor variations! Loads of cool, refreshing, chocolatey flavor.
Table of Contents
I promise not to go on and on about my love for cold chocolatey drinks — really, cold icy drinks of any kind — here in this post.
It’s summer, and we all just want to get on with sipping in the sunshine (too cheesy?).
Honestly, as a food blogger I love dreaming up recipes for all the different seasons and holidays, and this Frozen Hot Chocolate is my biggest request from the girls this summer.
Along with this chocolatey deliciousness, we’re making this Healthy Strawberry Smoothie, this Pineapple Smoothie, and this Easy Homemade Pink Lemonade often around here. The days are long and hot and we need to keep hydrated!
With this Frozen Hot Chocolate, I love that I can use a little more milk and ice, and a little less chocolate if I want theirs a little less sweet (summer holiday sugar rush anyone?).
This recipe is easy to customize and make a variety of different ways — and all of the flavor options! Check out some of my favorite additions below.
With hot chocolate mix:
The easiest way to make frozen hot chocolate is obviously with hot chocolate powder, and since this is a fun treat we only have occasionally (okay, maybe on a weekly basis, but it’s summer!), I don’t mind a little store bought mix here and there 😉
The base recipe for all of my flavor variations is:
- Hot chocolate mix
- Hot fudge or chocolate sauce
- Lots of ice — you want it thicken and slushy!
With natural ingredients:
If you’re looking for a low carb or low sugar option, try making this frozen hot chocolate with unsweetened cocoa powder and adding the sweetener of your choice:
- 2-3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar or sweetener
- 2 cups ice
- You can easily make this recipe dairy free (or lower in dairy) but using dark chocolate or dairy free chocolate along with almond or coconut milk. Honestly, I’m not dairy free and I love it with dark chocolate and almond or coconut milk!
- You can make this recipe less sweet and lower in sugar by reducing the amount of chocolate you use or adding more milk or ice.
More flavor variations:
- Add in some mint extract for Frozen Mint Hot Chocolate.
- Swap the chocolate for white chocolate for Frozen White Hot Chocolate.
- Add in some raspberries or strawberries for a fruity twist!
- Add in a spoonful of espresso powder for a little afternoon kick!
- A high powered blender — I have the KitchenAid Torrent Blender and love it! — it doesn’t have to be expensive, just one that can blend ice well!
- That’s really all you need, but we love this stainless steel straws for our summer sipping.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup hot chocolate mix
- 2 tablespoons hot fudge sauce (the thicker the better!)
- 2 cups ice cubes (about 16 ice cubes)
Peanut Butter Frozen Hot Chocolate
- 1 tablesoon smooth peanut butter
Oreo Frozen Hot Chocolate
- 4-6 chocolate Oreos
- Add milk, hot chocolate mix, chocolate sauce and ice cubes to a high powder blender and blend until smooth. If desired, add in the optional mix ins for Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate or Oreo Hot Chocolate when blending.
- Adjust sweetness to taste if desired or add in additional ice or milk to suit your tastes. Garnish with whipped cream as desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel