This Broccoli Cheddar soup is the perfect easy dinner for soup season! Packed with hearty vegetables, cheddar cheese, herbs and seasonings, as well as a combination of milk and cream, this soup is creamy, hearty, and oh so comforting!
Table of Contents
This is the best broccoli cheese soup recipe I have come across, and I have tried a few!
You don’t need any fancy kitchen gadgets for this one, just a dutch oven or large pot, and your stovetop.
It’s made with simple ingredients, and only takes 30 minutes to make, so it ticks all of my boxes.
Broccoli and cheese are perfect together for making comfort food that also counts as healthy eating. The classic flavor combination is always a hit!
One of my husband’s favorite dishes is this Layered Broccoli Salad which is loaded with fresh veggies, dried cranberries, bacon, walnuts, and, of course, cheddar cheese too!
And don’t forget a side of Homemade Breadsticks for dunking! 😉
- Vegetables: use chopped onion and carrots for a great savory flavor, and whole fresh broccoli florets for a burst of flavor, color, and nutrients!
- Butter: unsalted butter will be fine here, as you will add salt to taste. If you use salted butter you may not need to add as much salt as specified later on.
- Seasoning: fresh garlic cloves that you have minced yourself, as well as Italian seasoning, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and ground mustard blend together so well to pack a flavorful punch in this broccoli soup.
- Flour: all-purpose flour will thicken the soup. You can use a Gluten Free alternative if you wish, but the amount you need may vary.
- Broth: I use a low-sodium vegetable broth in this soup as I can better control the saltiness this way. Use vegetable stock in a pinch, or chicken broth or chicken stock for a slightly different flavor.
- Milk and Cream: whole milk and heavy cream will give the creamy texture and flavor, or you can use evaporated milk in place of both.
- Cheese: we use shredded sharp cheddar cheese for a strong cheesy flavor. You can use other cheeses as well if you wish.
How to Make Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This homemade broccoli cheddar soup is quick and easy to make. Full instructions are included in the recipe card below.
- Sauté: Sauté the onion and carrots in a large pot.
- Add seasonings: Next, add garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, mustard, and pepper — toasting the herbs wakes up their flavor before adding the rest!
- Add flour: Stir in flour until no white remains.
- Add other ingredients: Add vegetable broth, milk, and cream. Stir while cooking, then add broccoli.
- Add cheese and stir until melted
Broccoli Cheddar Soup FAQs
Using broth as a base for soup will provide a unique depth of flavor. Vegetable broth or chicken broth are both great for this, and homemade broth is even better.
Sautéeing the vegetables at the beginning of the soup-making process is a great way to partly caramelize them, giving them a sweet and savory flavor in the soup. Seasonings are also a main source of flavor in the soup, but they can be adjusted as you go.
Make sure to cut larger vegetables, like broccoli or potatoes, into bite-sized pieces so it is easy to eat, or blend them to make them smaller. Lots of factors work together to make the best soups, but your own taste testing will be useful to customize the flavors to your preference.
Allow the soup to cool completely to room temperature before covering it with plastic wrap, or transferring it to an airtight container and putting it in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stove top or microwave with some extra water or milk if it has thickened.
This broccoli soup freezes well, even considering its dairy. If you have used high-fat ingredients like whole milk and heavy cream then this soup should freeze well without thawing issues.
Simply store in Ziploc bags or a freezer-safe container, in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge before reheating. Add milk or cream to the reheated soup if needed.
Keep in mind that the vegetables will be quite soft after freezing.
Tips and Notes
- This soup will thicken. Soup tends to thicken as it cools. You may need to add in some extra broth if the soup is too thick before serving, or after reheating it from being in the fridge.
- Use fresh veggies. Pre-chopped vegetables tend to dry out, so use freshly chopped vegetables for the best flavor.
- Shred your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheese often has a floury coating on it which can affect the taste. It’s best to get a block of cheese that you can shred yourself.
- Texture. If you prefer a smoother texture, use an immersion blender to blend the soup as it is nearing the end of the cooking time.
- Broccoli stalks. If you have broccoli stalks that you need to use, you can cook and blend them into this soup. Blend them when they have softened, you can cook them separately if you wish to have whole broccoli florets in the soup as well.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Variations
- Change the veg. You can add some seasonal vegetables or your favorite vegetables to this soup. Save this recipe for use with vegetable leftovers, or if you have an abundance of broccoli. Fill it out with some potatoes, or add some bell peppers for sweetness, color, and added nutrients.
- Spice it up. Adding red pepper flakes, chili powder, chopped jalapenos, or hot sauce to your soup is a great way to add some heat.
- Cheese. Top your soup with some parmesan or mozzarella cheese. Use your own cheese choice for the soup itself, like Monterey Jack or a Mexican cheese mix for a slight kick.
While this vegetable soup is hearty and filling, it will also go well with some sides to make it a fuller meal. Bread is always a great side dish, or you can serve the soup in a bread bowl for an extra special presentation!
From crusty bread to soft rolls, you can’t go wrong! Try these amazing Homemade Crescent Rolls, my No Knead Artisan Bread, these Homemade Garlic Herb Dinner Rolls, or these yummy Homemade Breadsticks.
More Delicious Soup Recipes to Try
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk evaporated milk can be subbed for milk and cream
- 1 cup cream
- 4 cups of broccoli florets* about 250 grams
- 3 cups cheddar cheese shredded about 180 grams
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrot. Cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, mustard, and pepper. Cook to toast spices for 1 minute.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth, milk, and cream. Cook and stir until it begins to thicken.
- Add broccoli to soup, reduce to medium-low heat, and simmer until tender (approximately 10 minutes).
- Add shredded cheese and stir until the soup is smooth. Serve.
- Store: Cover with plastic wrap, or transfer it to an airtight container and put it in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stove top or microwave with some extra water or milk if it has thickened.
- Freeze: Store in Ziploc bags or a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge before reheating. Add milk or cream to the reheated soup if needed.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel