You all have those days when we’re making something we think is going to be the best thing we’ve ever eaten, and it turns out to be a big flop.
You also have those days when you’re making something you think is going to be mediocre and it turns out way better than you expected.
Today was a bit of a mixed bag.
I started out baking my bread machine buns, which I love — they really are perfect every time! I only wish I had a bigger bread machine.
Then I moved on to a Butter Tart Coffee Cake — I really thought this was going to be amazing. I mean, you can just imagine it, can’t you? I used a recipe, and I promise you I followed it and everything. But it was just a horrible mess. It was a stiff, leaky, sticky — though very tasty — mess. You better believe we ate every bite of it, but it just is not blogworthy.
My brother-in-law was over helping my husband with our deck, which is exciting because you can almost believe it’s getting close to that time when one would want to use a deck in Manitoba. But I wasn’t really looking forward to cooking lunch after cleaning and baking all morning.
I had pinned this recipe for Nacho Potato Chowder from Inside BruCrew Life and I’m sure it’s amazing. The problem is, I just didn’t have all of the ingredients. And I’m not even sure we can get all of the ingredients in Canada (condensed Nacho cheese soup?). So I wanted to figure out a way to get a lot of the same flavour without having to remember to buy things I don’t normally have around the house.
I started with my regular potato soup base: carrots, celery, potatoes, onions in broth. I added some salt and other spices that I thought could get me closer to that nacho flavour I desired. I thickened some milk with a roux, added some cheddar cheese and corn and I was really happy with the result! I think I actually surprised myself with how close I got to the flavour I wanted.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Creamy Nacho Potato Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups finely chopped carrots
- 3 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 8 small potatoes or 4 large, 6 medium
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1-2 cups frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- In a large pot, add carrots, celery, onion and potatoes to broth (I get my broth heating while I chop my veg). Add chili powder, cumin, garlic and salt.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to medium heat. Cook, simmering over medium heat until potatoes and carrots are tender (about 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, prepare your roux. In a large bowl (make sure it’s big enough — you don’t want it to boil over), melt butter in the microwave. Whisk in flour first, then milk.
- Heat in the microwave at 1 minute intervals (no longer), whisking each time, until thickened.
- Add to the soup once vegetables are cooked. Stir in corn and cheddar cheese.
- Garnish with more corn and cheese if desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel