This Crockpot Shredded Chicken is easy, flavorful and a great way to meal prep for the week ahead! How to make shredded chicken including tips, tricks and shredded chicken recipes.
Table of Contents
I know, I know.
Not that interesting, right?
There’s no bacon, or cheese, or chocolate…. There’s not even any carbs 😉
But since the popularity of this Instant Pot Shredded Chicken, I’ve realized that I really love storing up a collection or super practical, easy recipes for kitchen basics that will make your life a hundred times easier through the week. It was high time for this crockpot shredded chicken to join the family.
As moms and dads and adults who have a million things on our plates, this is the key.
Another lifesaving recipe? This ultra juicy Slow Cooker Chicken Breast!
During the fall, my husband works 14 hour days, 5 or 6 days a week so I am all about making lives easier. With a 6 year old, 3 year old and a baby, my hands are often full at 5:00 when everyone’s tummy starts rumbling.
Having this crockpot shredded chicken prepped is a lifesaver and is so easy to stir into soups, pasta, make quick sandwiches or, hey, even add to a boxed pasta mix when times are really crazy 😉 (yes, I have a couple emergency boxes of mac and cheese in the cupboard!).
No time for the slow cooker? Check out my stovetop Shredded Chicken recipe.
Tips for making this Crockpot Shredded Chicken:
- Don’t overcook. I know it can be tempting to leave the chicken in for a long time as you would think it would end up more tender, but that’s not always the case. You really want to be sure you hit the sweet spot between “just enough” and “dry and unappetizing”.
- Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Avoid having to deal with skin and bones to make this crockpot shredded chicken recipe super simple. Chicken thighs will have a little more fat (flavor!) and more moisture. Chicken breasts are leaner, but also don’t pack quite the same amount of flavor as thighs. You can use one or the other or a combination! I use chicken breasts because they always turn out incredibly moist and it’s easy to add flavor 🙂
- Know your slow cooker. When cooking 4 chicken breasts like this recipe calls for, I love using my 2.5 quart crockpot — it’s the perfect size and heats up quickly. If you’re doing more chicken than that, you’ll likely want to use a 4-6 quart crockpot. Note that if your crockpot is very full, it will take longer to heat and cook.
- Keep the seasoning simple. You don’t want to end up with a week’s worth of single-purpose chicken (unless you do, I guess!), so by keeping the seasoning on this slow cooker shredded chicken basic, you can use it in a multitude of ways. It doesn’t scream “Mexican!” or “Italian!” or “curry!”.
How to shred chicken:
I know a lot of people like to make shredded chicken with an electric mixer or stand mixer because it shreds quickly and easily.
This is a great way to do it, but honestly? I prefer a couple of forks.
It really doesn’t take that long, and I’m all about using the least amount of dishes as possible. I really dislike washing big pots and bowls so I avoid using extra at all costs!
After simmering away low and slow, this slow cooker shredded chicken comes together (or rather, apart! Lol) with little effort. No need to pull out the big guns 😉
Crockpot Shredded Chicken Recipes:
So now that we have all of this wonderful, flavorful, moist slow cooker shredded chicken, the real question is what to make with shredded chicken? I love having a bunch on hand in the fridge because it is so versatile and makes weeknight meals so much easier to manage.
Here are some easy things to make with shredded chicken:
- Sandwiches or wraps or quesadillas (like these Italian Chicken Sandwiches)
- Add it to soups like this Minestrone Soup, Creamy Italian Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup, or Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup.
- Add it to casseroles like this Crockpot Chicken Spaghetti or White Chicken Lasagna.
- Use it to make pizza (we love using mini naan bread for a super quick lunch or dinner and the leftover pizzas are great for school lunch!)
- Use leftover shredded chicken to make nachos for dinner or game day!
- Add it to salads for a healthy, protein-packed lunch
How to make easy Shredded Chicken Tacos:
If you’re wanting to make slow cooker shredded chicken tacos, simply swap the seasoning for roughly 2 teaspoons taco seasoning.
Cook and shred the chicken as the recipe calls for, and then taste and adjust the seasoning as you require. Serve with taco shells, chips, tortillas, and all your favorite taco toppings!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Crockpot Shredded Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoning salt (I use Lawry’s)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place chicken breasts in 2.5-4 quart crockpot. Pour in chicken broth and sprinkle with seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3 hours, until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees F minimum) and fall apart tender.
- Using two forks, gently pull and shred the chicken in the liquid (if your chicken has released a lot of liquid, you may want to remove some liquid before shredding, but save it in case you want to add more back in).
- Serve as desired or let cool slightly before refrigerating. Cooked chicken can be stored in the refrigerator, tightly sealed, for 3-4 days, or packaged and frozen for 3-4 months.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel