This Cheesy Crockpot Chicken Spaghetti is an easy crockpot meal for busy weeknights! It’s made healthier with no canned soups, lean chicken breast and added veggies, and it cooks completely in the slow cooker for less clean up! Includes step by step recipe video.
Here we are, friends. SEPTEMBER.
September around here means back to school, back to routine, back to eating dinner at home and fewer park picnics and camping weekends. But I love September.
(Also, it’s my birthday month!)
Easy crockpot meals are always a big hit here, so I knew I had to bring you a few new ones to kick off the season. This Slow Cooker Baked Ziti and healthier Slow Cooker Spaghetti and Meat Sauce are others you might enjoy!
This Crockpot Chicken Spaghetti is a slow cooker spin on one of my favorite casseroles here on The Recipe Rebel — this Healthier Creamy Chicken Spaghetti. It’s a healther twist on the Pioneer Woman’s Chicken Spaghetti, made with a few extra veggies and no canned soups anywhere in sight.
Instead, I make the sauce with low fat milk and corn starch, after the chicken has simmered in the broth until tender (which gives this recipe so much flavour!). Then you add the spaghetti noodles right to the crockpot, which means that instead of boiling and draining, they’re soaking up all that awesome flavour we’ve been building.
Pretty cool, hey?
How to make this Crockpot Chicken Spaghetti:
- The rules are optional. If you like different veggies, throw in different veggies. If you want to skip the chicken, go ahead. If you want to use cooked ground beef, do it. If you want to use different cheeses, amazing. Feel free to make your own rules as you go, but try to stick to the ratio of pasta/liquid/protein/veggies for best results.
- I say this every time I post a slow cooker recipe, but you have to know your crockpot. They all cook differently, some hotter, some cooler. Smaller ones will heat more quickly, larger ones more slowly.
- Don’t overcook your pasta. Pasta takes some time to cook in the slow cooker (about 15-20 minutes), but you will want to check it every 5 minutes or so after the first 10, just to be sure you take it off the heat once it’s done. No one likes mushy pasta!
- This isn’t a crockpot meal you can leave to cook all day, but if you need to let it go longer while away from the kitchen, try adding in frozen chicken breasts and cooking for 6 hours on low before adding your spaghetti.
- If you need to speed things up, you can chop up your chicken before adding to the slow cooker, and it will cook more quickly.
Crockpot Chicken Spaghetti
This Cheesy Crockpot Chicken Spaghetti is an easy crockpot meal for busy weeknights! It's made healthier with no canned soups, lean chicken breast and added veggies, and it cooks completely in the slow cooker for less clean up! Includes step by step recipe video.
- 1 large carrot peeled and shredded
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper chopped
- 1/2 red pepper chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 375 grams whole wheat spaghetti (1 small box)
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Add carrot, onion, peppers, salt, garlic, paprika, pepper and chicken broth to a 4-6 quart slow cooker and stir until combined. Add the chicken breasts and press down into the liquid.
Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours. Uncover and shred chicken in the crockpot. Turn it to high.
Break spaghetti noodles into halves or quarters and stir into the crockpot (this is easier to do when using a bigger slow cooker!). Put the lid on and continue cooking for 10 minutes. Stir, cover, and continue cooking another 5-10 minutes until al dente.
Whisk together milk and corn starch and add to the crockpot along with the cheese. Stir to combine, then cover and let cook on high for 5 minutes. Remove lid and stir to distribute sauce. Serve.