This Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup is loaded with vegetables, chicken, cheese tortellini, and so much flavor! The pressure cooker makes it so easy.
Table of Contents
If you’ve been hanging around for a while, then you know I’m a big soup lover. And now that fall is here, it’s time to bust out my Instant Pot for another instant pot chicken soup recipe.
This Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup is a play off of my Creamy Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup. I used almost the same recipe, but swapped the Ditalini pasta out for some cheese tortellini and skipped the cream (although you can add that in if you wish!)
Oh. My. Word.
This soup is loaded with healthy ingredients, tastes rich and indulgent, and is a total family favorite!
Bonus: it’s freezer-friendly and ready in under 30 minutes!
- Chicken Broth: I use low sodium chicken broth. Feel free to use regular, but you may want to add less salt yourself.
- Veggies: diced carrots and celery are the perfect way to add some color, texture and nutritious deliciousness to the soup.
- Seasonings: we’re using a simple blend of dried parsley, salt, dried thyme, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Chicken: you’ll need 2 cups of cooked and chopped chicken. Don’t have any? I recommend meal prepping a big batch of this Baked Chicken Breast or this Crockpot Shredded Chicken.
- Tortellini: I use cheese tortellini, but feel free to use your favorite pasta!
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup
This tortellini chicken noodle soup is ready in under 20 minutes!
- Make the soup: Add carrots, celery, broth, and seasonings to the instant pot. Cook for 10 minutes, then release the pressure.
- Cook: Turn the Instant Pot to sauté, then add the chicken and tortellini. Cook until the tortellini is tender.
Chicken Tortellini Soup FAQs
Tortellini Soup is a super simple soup made with broth, veggies, and seasonings, sometimes a protein (in this case, chicken), and tortellini pasta.
Tortellini pasta is traditionally stuffed with cheese, but you can also find it stuffed with a variety of different meats such as pork, prosciutto, Italian sausage, etc.
Leftover Chicken Tortellini Soup will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Keep in mind that the pasta will soak up the liquid as it sits and become soggy. It will still be delicious though! To reheat, warm on low on the stove until heated through.
You can freeze your chicken soup, but I recommend doing so without the noodles. To freeze, assemble and cook the soup as instructed, add the chicken, but leave out the tortellini. Instead, cool completely, pack in an airtight container, and freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve, thaw overnight in the fridge, then add the tortellini and warm in the instant pot or on the stove.
You can make this soup on the stove top in a similar way — just simmer your veggies and spices until cooked, and then add your tortellini. If you desire, you can saute your vegetables first in 1 tablespoon of oil before adding your broth.
- Use another protein. Swap the chicken out for cooked Italian sausage, cooked ground beef, cooked and chopped turkey, or even chickpeas.
- Add more veggies. Anything goes! Feel free to add in whatever veggies you like to jazz your instant pot soup up a bit: diced onions, mushrooms, peppers, peas, corn or mushrooms are all great ideas.
- Make it vegetarian. Just leave out the chicken and swap the chicken broth for vegetable.
- Make it creamy. Make your instant pot chicken soup creamy by adding a splash of heavy cream or half-and-half at the very end.
- Spice it up. Heat things up with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes You’ll Love
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 ribs celery sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 2 cups cheese tortellini 1 250g package
- Add carrots, celery, broth, parsley, salt, thyme, garlic powder, and pepper to the Instant Pot (I use a 6 quart).
- Set to high pressure, Manual mode, for 3 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure and start counting down.
- When cook time is over, release pressure gradually (use a towel to keep the steam off your hands, but keep your hand on the valve to slowly release the pressure. Be careful because soup can sputter).
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute and add the chicken and tortellini. Cook for 5 minutes or until tortellini reaches desired tenderness.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel