A SUPER simple, flavorful meal with just a few ingredients! These Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Sandwiches are perfect for summer picnics, busy weeknights, or serve the chicken and sauce over pasta for a hearty meal! Gluten free and paleo options.
There are so many things I love about today’s recipe.
- It’s made in the slow cooker
- It only uses a handful of simple ingredients
- It has easy gluten free and paleo options
- It’s perfect for everything from summer picnics to winter pastas to busy weeknights any time of the year. Put it in a wrap, sandwich, serve with roasted veggies, with salad, on salad, in a taco, with rice…. the options are endless!
In this recipe I used Muir Glen Organic Fire-Roasted Crushed Tomatoes (new to Canada!), chicken breasts, and a bit of pesto and salt to punch up the flavor — you really need nothing else! The flavor of these tomatoes is so intense and incredible. Muir Glen uses only the best, vine-ripened tomatoes and you can tell as soon as you crack the can. The smell is intoxicating!
I wanted to show them off in a recipe that didn’t require a lot of ingredients, so that the fire-roasted flavor wasn’t lost under a bunch of other things.
Also, with a toddler and a preschooler I just don’t have a lot of time or patience for recipes with 27 ingredients and 8 pots. Do you?
*This post is generously sponsored by Muir Glen. I’ve been compensated for my time in developing this recipe but all opinions are, as always, my own!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Sandwiches
- 4 chicken breasts
- 28 oz can crushed Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil leaves and buns to serve as desired
- Place chicken breasts in a 4-6 quart slow cooker. Add tomatoes, pesto and salt and stir until chicken is coated.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Shred chicken and serve on a bun with shredded cheese and fresh basil if desired.
- This chicken is also great in wraps, on salads, over pasta, rice or potatoes — the options are endless!
*If you’re looking for a longer cooking time (say you work away from home all day), use frozen chicken breasts and cook for 6-8 hours on low.
*This recipe is gluten free, but be sure that you use gluten free rolls or serve or rice or potatoes instead.
*If seeking a paleo option, omit the pesto and add fresh basil and/or oregano to taste at the end of the cooking time. Leave off the shredded cheese and serve with roasted vegetables.
*Nutrition information is estimated and will vary depending on exact serving size, types and brands of products used.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel