These Nacho Fries are better than Taco Bell! Perfectly seasoned and topped with taco beef, lots of cheese, peppers, and green onions.
If there’s one I don’t do a lot of around here, it’s appetizers and finger food.
I mean, how often do you see moms of 3 kids 7 and under serving an appetizer with their meal? 😉
BUT, we do love appetizers that count as dinner, like these hearty Nacho Fries loaded with ground beef, onions, peppers, cheese and all your favorite nacho toppings.
Plus, they’re incredibly easy to make and customize, which means they are perfect for busy families (not that we’re eating Nacho Fries every night of the week, but they are a fun “meal” every now and then!).
What makes these better than Taco Bell Nacho Fries?
Basically everything. But in more detail:
- You know what’s going into them. Yes, I realize we are starting with a bag of frozen french fries but there are varying levels of frozen french fry quality and I like to think I choose some that are not so bad. Plus, we’re choosing everything else: the seasoning, the toppings, and you can choose ones that you enjoy and are comfortable feeding your family.
- You can make them in under 30 minutes in your pyjamas from home.
- There are lots of parts you can prep ahead, which makes them an easy recipe to throw together when you’re in a hurry.
- You can make a whole pan for the price it would cost for one serving of Nacho Fries Bellgrande at Taco Bell.
How to make Nacho Fries:
- Grease a baking sheet lightly, add your fries and season. Spread in a thin layer with lots of space so they get crispy!
- Bake until fries are crispy, while you are cooking your ground beef (if you haven’t prepped it in advance).
- Top your fries with beef, cheese, and your favorite toppings, and pop it in the oven to melt the cheese.
- Top with your fresh toppings: green onions, jalapenos, add some sour cream and salsa and you’re good to go!
How to prep Nacho Fries ahead:
There are lots of ways to cut down on the prep time when making nacho fries.
- Cook your ground beef and onion in advance and freeze in small bags — these are perfect for not only these nacho fries, but also quesadillas, salads, and more.
- Chop your peppers, jalapenos, green onions, anything else you want to add and store them in the fridge for up to a few days.
- Shred your cheese, and store up to a few days in the refrigerator in an airtight container (Or buy pre-shredded cheese, but I don’t usually recommend that).
Variations on these Nacho Fries:
There are so many ways to make these Nacho Fries your own!
Ditch the meat and add on more veggies — maybe additional peppers, mushrooms, or whatever you enjoy plus some black beans for a vegetarian version of these Nacho Fries.
Swap the cheddar for some Jalapeno Monterey Jack or a Mexican cheese blend for added kick and flavor.
Swap the fries for tater tots for Nacho Taters.
If you try these and put your own spin on them, leave a comment below and let me know what you did!
More nacho love:
- How to Make the Best Nachos: 3 Ways
- Nacho Roasted Potatoes with Easy Homemade Queso
- Nacho Popcorn
- Bacon and Egg Breakfast Nachos
- Creamy Nacho Potato Soup
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
- 1 lb frozen crinkle cut french fries
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion finely diced
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 jalapeno sliced, optional
- salsa and sour cream for garnish as desired
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non stick spray. Toss fries with seasoning salt and lay fries in a flat layer on baking sheet with as much space around each one as possible.
- Bake fries for 15-20 minutes, stirring once, until crispy.
- Meanwhile, cook the ground beef and onion (add the peppers as well if you prefer them tender) on the stove top over medium-high heat until browned. Stir in taco seasoning and set aside.
- When fries are crispy, top with some of the cheese, then beef mixture, and red peppers. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle on green onions and jalapeno (if using)
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel