These Crockpot Chicken Wings are crispy on the outside but still moist & tender! With Buffalo, BBQ and Honey Garlic options, there’s something for everyone!
Table of Contents
Let me just say that when I started planning and testing crockpot chicken wings for this post, my husband couldn’t have been happier.
For me? The easiest to cook and eat usually wings out.
That means boneless chicken breasts, ground beef, other boneless meats that are easily prepared. Things you can almost cook blindfolded (though I don’t recommend that!).
So what I do when I’m faced with something I want to make well, but always want to make easily?
I bust out the crockpot.
These Crockpot Chicken Wings are ridiculously easy because you don’t have to overthink the cook time. They’re going to be super tender and juicy in just a few hours, but you will still get that crispy skin after a couple minutes under the broiler.
Normally, I try to avoid adding in extra pans or cooking methods when I’m making something in my slow cooker or Instant Pot, but for these crockpot chicken wings, I really think we need both.
With the Superbowl coming up and other game days, parties get togethers or movie nights always on the calendar (I mean, if you don’t have 3 kids 6 and under like we do 😉 ), these slow cooker wings are a lifesaver.
You can throw them in and let them hang out with all kinds of delicious flavours in the crockpot while you have a nap (or do other very important things), and then throw down some parchment paper and broil for a few minutes before your guests arrive and you’ll look like you really put in a lot of effort 🙂
If you happen to be bringing these chicken wings to another location for your big celebration, simply save the tin foil boats that you cooked them in (all of the juices are completely cooked so there is nothing to worry about!), and throw the broiled wings back into the crockpot for the ride over.
You can keep it plugged in on the warm setting to serve and that way no one has to eat cold wings!
Let’s be honest, I love in the middle of nowhere and most of the meat I buy goes directly into the freezer for another day. I like to stock up when things are on sale so I always have food to pull out for another day.
I don’t recommend cooking chicken wings right from frozen because they will release quite a bit of water into the sauce which will dilute the flavor significantly.
To thaw quickly, always make sure you freeze in a single layer in freezer bags, then submerge in cold (but not ice cold) water in the sink for 20-30 minutes, checking often to ensure the water is cold and removing the chicken wings as soon as they are thawed.
Personally, I don’t love spicy food.
Okay. I’m a total wimp.
So I wanted to make some that the husband would enjoy (he likes spicy food) and some for me, too. You can mix up the sauces you use and it shouldn’t make a difference at all, but my choices are:
BBQ Chicken Wings:
You can definitely make your own bbq sauce here, but I choose to just grab a bottle of my favorite store bought sauce. Anything that you enjoy will work well here!
Honey Garlic Chicken Wings:
For this recipe I whipped up a super simple honey garlic sauce with just a few ingredients.
If you want to save even more time, you can definitely grab a bottle of honey garlic sauce from the store.
Buffalo Chicken Wings:
For these, I grabbed a bottle of Frank’s. I mean, what else are you going to put on them? 😉 There are lots of different flavors of hot sauce available, some sweeter or milder or hotter, so grab what you think you will like the best.
- Sweet and Sour Crockpot Meatballs
- Tortilla Roll Ups: Pizza Style!
- BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Nachos
- Easy Pizza Pinwheels Recipe
- I have big love for my 2.5 quart casserole crockpot — it’s nice and shallow so people can see what’s inside and it showcases the food beautifully! It’s also available in a 3.5 quart size if you’re going to be making a lot of wings.
- You’ll also need a great rimmed baking sheet and some parchment paper to crisp up these slow cooker chicken wings in the oven before serving! Nothing fancy here 😉
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Honey Garlic Sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
Crockpot Chicken Wings
- 24 fresh, split chicken wings (bone in, skin on)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
Honey Garlic Sauce
- In a medium bowl, whisk together honey, soy sauce, corn starch, sugar and garlic.
To make Crockpot Chicken Wings
- Lightly season all chicken wings with salt and pepper.
- Fold a large piece of tin foil in half (this will make it stronger and prevent leaks), then form a “boat” or pocket for the chicken wings to cook in in the crockpot.
- Repeat two more times for a total of 3 tin foil pockets that fit snugly in a 4-6 quart crockpot.
- Place 8 chicken wings in each foil pocket.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons from each of the 3 sauces, then pour remaining sauce into the foil pockets over the chicken wings, one flavour in each pocket.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours until cooked through (an internal temperature of 165 degrees F is reached).
- Place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving some separation between flavours. Brush chicken wings with reserved 2 tablespoons of each sauce.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes, until crisped and starting to brown. Serve.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel