These Nacho Roasted Potatoes with Easy Homemade Queso make a delicious appetizer, side dish or after school snack — they are loaded with flavor and so easy to make! Includes step by step recipe video.
You’ll find the giveaway over on Instagram — click here to go to my Instagram page!
So, queso or “cheese dip” is a relatively new thing for us. It’s not something we’ve really made much, but as a food blogger my eyes have been opened to all kinds of things, and I’ll admit — once you get a taste it’s hard to image your life without it.
If there is one thing that can convince my kids to eat just about anything I put on the table, it’s cheese. You can hear me saying, “look! It’s so cheesy!” at the dinner table on a regular basis around here. I figured they’d long be onto me by now, but so far, so good.
One of the best things about these potatoes is it’s so easy to get the kids involved. My girls both love to help out in the kitchen, and if I add in the spices to the potatoes they can get their (clean!) hands in and stir it all around and dump it on the pan. I’ve started to let my 5 year old experiment with some chopping and stirring on the stove, so she’s on queso duty 🙂
In pregnancy I pretty much never crave the food that I’m supposed to be eating. You know, fruits and vegetables, a protein that’s not a burger or chicken fingers….. all babe wants is hot, fried, crispy, salty food and copious amounts of ice cream.
Confession: I actually purchased my first ever bag of Tater Tots just a few months ago. No, I’m not lying — the first ever.
Thankfully, crispy roasted Little Potatoes satisfy my cravings and they’re so much healthier, I don’t even feel guilty about it. (FYI: there hasn’t been a second bag of Tater Tots). Crispy Nacho Roasted Potatoes dipped in hot molten cheese?! Somebody hold me back.
Tips and Tricks for Making these Nacho Roasted Potatoes with Easy Homemade Queso:
- This “queso” recipe makes more than you need for dunking 12 potatoes — it reheats perfectly for dipping veggies or chips or more potatoes later in the week! (It’s even great over some cooked macaroni!)
- If you’re serving this to young kids or people who aren’t into much spice, be sure to use a mild salsa and you can reduce the chili powder to 1/2 teaspoon if desired.
*This post is generously sponsored by The Little Potato Company — thank you for supporting the brands that keep us well-fed!
Nacho Roasted Potatoes with Easy Homemade Queso + VIDEO
- 18 Little Potatoes I used Terrific Trio
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 1% milk
- 1/2 cup tomato salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place potatoes in a medium bowl and add oil, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, and cumin and stir until combined. Spread on baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in flour until combined.
- Slowly stir in milk. Whisk and cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Add salsa and cheese and stir until melted and combined. Keep warm for dipping.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and dip in queso dip. Refrigerate leftover queso dip up to 1 week.