Crock Pot Honey Garlic Chicken is packed with sweet, savory, and spicy flavors! Perfect for the whole family, this super easy recipe is great for a weeknight meal or a lazy weekend, though it’s fancy enough to serve at a dinner party too.
Table of Contents
This crock pot honey garlic chicken recipe really is SO easy to make. Plus, it’s so delicious even picky eaters will love it!
I love easy slow cooker recipes where I can just dump everything in the pot and leave it to cook throughout the day (like these other Dump and Go Slow Cooker Recipes or these 30+ Easy Crockpot Meals).
Not only is there very little prep in this Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken recipe, but there is also basically no other hands-on time once it’s all in the slow cooker.
My other favorite thing is that as it slowly cooks, the house is filled with the fragrant aromas of delicious garlic, sweet honey, and warm chicken!
Crockpot honey garlic chicken is perfect for a weeknight family dinner or a lazy weekend.
This dish also looks and tastes good enough to serve at a dinner party which is a total WIN for me!
You can choose how to present this dish: either by shredding the chicken in the crockpot and letting it absorb the delicious sauce or by slicing the chicken neatly and drizzling the sauce over the top.
Pair it with some rice and green veggies, and dinner is served!
For more easy chicken recipes, check out my Crockpot Salsa Chicken, this Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken, and my Chicken Enchilada Casserole.
- Chicken: use skinless boneless chicken breasts for this recipe (boneless thighs would also work).
- Seasoning: kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper will make a simple seasoning mix for the chicken before adding it to the slow cooker.
- Honey: use regular (clear) honey (not creamed) for the base of the honey garlic sauce.
- Broth: a low sodium chicken broth is best for this recipe so that you can best control the salt content of the dish.
- Soy Sauce: use low sodium soy sauce if you can, light or dark soy sauce is fine.
- Garlic: use freshly minced garlic cloves for the best flavor here.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Helps to tenderize the chicken, and adds a sweet and sour flavor to the dish.
- Cornstarch: use a cornstarch slurry to thicken the dish – you can omit this if you prefer a thinner sauce.
- Red Pepper Flakes: Mix into the sauce or garnish on top for a bit of heat.
How to Make CrockPot Honey Garlic Chicken
- Make sauce: Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Season chicken: Season chicken breasts and put them in the slow cooker.
- Coat chicken: Pour sauce over chicken breasts and cover.
- Cook and serve: Cook until done, then slice or shred the chicken and serve with sauce.
Crock Pot Honey Garlic Chicken FAQs
Your slow cooker was made to cook raw meat, making mealtimes super simple for you and your family! Here’s everything you need to know about making Slow Cooker Chicken Breast.
No! I love cooking chicken in my slow cooker as it is so low maintenance. Make sure the chicken breasts are just submerged in the liquid before you start cooking them and they will cook through during the long cooking time.
Store this recipe in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Allow it to cool to room temperature before putting it in the fridge.
This chicken dish freezes so well! Store it in a freezer-safe container and freeze it for up to 3 months. Allow the chicken to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating it in the microwave or oven until piping hot.
Tips and Notes
- Thickening the sauce. The corn starch in the sauce should thicken the sauce as it cooks, but you can always thicken further after cooking with a small amount of corn starch dissolved in water, heated on the stovetop until bubbly.
- Chicken – You can use chicken thighs or drumsticks for this recipe as well. Whether they have the bone in or not, and whether they have skin on or not may affect the cooking time. Keep in mind that the sauce will be fattier if you use chicken with the skin on.
- Meat Thermometer – It’s always best to check the internal temperature of meat before you serve it. Chicken is done and ready to eat when it has an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Crock Pot Honey Garlic Chicken Variations
- Spice it up. You can add additional red pepper flakes, chili powder, or cayenne pepper to the crockpot to add a bit of spice to this dish. Alternatively, garnish with red pepper flakes.
- Garnish: Sesame seeds and chopped green onions make great garnishes for this dish.
- Honey. Use maple syrup instead of honey if you prefer for an interesting twist.
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken is an easy and delicious main dish.
Make it a complete meal by serving it with side dishes like white rice, like this Instant Pot Jasmine Rice, my Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes, or these Roasted Red Potatoes.
Add some color to the dinner table and your plate with Air Fryer Green Beans, Honey Glazed Carrots, Air Fryer Broccoli, or Roasted Vegetables on the side.
We also always have some bread on hand at the dinner table. My Homemade Garlic Herb Dinner Rolls are perfect with this meal, or you could try these Buttery (Whole Wheat) Bread Machine Rolls, or a slice of my No Knead Artisan Bread!
More Easy Crockpot Chicken Recipes to Try
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Crock Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
Honey Garlic Sauce
- ⅔ cup honey (clear and not creamed)
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken broth or sub water
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛-¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional, but balances out the sweetness nicely
- Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients: honey, broth, soy sauce, garlic, vinegar, salt, cornstarch, and pepper flakes if using.
- Pour sauce over chicken breasts and cover.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or until the thickest part of the chicken registers a temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Once fully cooked, slice or shred and serve with sauce.
- Store: Store this recipe in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Allow it to cool to room temperature before putting it in the fridge.
- Freeze: This chicken dish freezes so well! Store it in a freezer-safe container and freeze it for up to 3 months. Allow the chicken to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating it in the microwave or oven until piping hot.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel
Sandra Reis says
Awesome recipe!! I’m making it right now 😃
The Recipe Rebel says
Hope you enjoy it Sandra!
faith gardner says
how long can I cook it on high for ?
The Recipe Rebel says
Hi Faith! This works best on low.
Beth S. says
Delicious! Super easy to make and paired well with brown jasmine rice and broccoli. Can’t wait to make it again!
The Recipe Rebel says
Hi Beth! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this kind review!
Came out very good use package of coconut jasmine and fresh broccoli and cauliflower very good definitely would make again.
The Recipe Rebel says
Hi Lynnmp! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this kind review!
Tina Lincoln says
What a great and easy recipe! Made it in my crockpot, small rice maker made rice while it steamed some broccoli and snow peas. Tried to save recipe thru your site, but it must be having issues right now.
Yummy! I just made this today!