This Crockpot Salsa Chicken is an easy crockpot dump meal! It’s made with six simple ingredients and takes just 5 minutes to prep. Serve this chicken in tacos or burrito bowls, over nachos, in fajitas, you name it!
Table of Contents
I love my crockpot. How could you not love a kitchen tool that allows you to just throw everything into one pot, walk away, and come back to a home-cooked meal?
This Crockpot Salsa Chicken is just one of my favorite crockpot recipes.
It’s made with chicken breasts, a few simple seasonings, and your favorite salsa, and finished off with melty mozzarella cheese because who doesn’t love some extra cheesiness?
Serve this chicken in tacos, burritos, over Instant Pot Jasmine Rice, fajitas, or just eat it by the spoonful straight out of the crockpot. It’s hard to resist. 😉
For a fun sweet and spicy flavor variation, check out my slow cooker mango salsa chicken!
This salsa chicken recipe is just about as simple as it gets! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken Breasts: I use boneless and skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. Chicken thighs will work as well, they will likely just take slightly longer to cook all the way through.
- Seasonings: a simple blend of chili powder, garlic powder, and salt creates a delicious flavor base for the chicken. Feel free to use prepackaged taco seasoning if you prefer!
- Tomato Salsa: use mild, medium, or hot depending on your spice tolerance. You can even mix things up and choose a fruity variety!
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese: I recommend shredding your own cheese for the best texture.
How to Make Crockpot Salsa Chicken
This crockpot salsa chicken recipe comes together with a quick 5 minutes of prep!
- Combine all ingredients: Place the chicken breasts into your slow cooker. Mix together chili powder, garlic powder, and salt, then sprinkle the mixture over the chicken breasts. Pour the salsa over top.
- Cook: Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until the chicken is 165ºF.
- Finish and serve: Once cooked, turn the crockpot off, open the lid, and sprinkle with cheese. Place the lid back on for 5-10 minutes so the cheese can melt, then serve and enjoy.
FAQs for Crockpot Salsa Chicken
This chicken will cook on low in the crockpot for anywhere from 3-4 hours. I recommend checking the temperature at 3 hours and cooking more only as needed. Once the internal temperature of the chicken is 165ºF, it’s ready to go.
Yes! It’s perfectly safe to put raw chicken into the crockpot. If you want to brown the chicken before cooking it, you totally can, but it isn’t necessary.
No. Frozen chicken takes too long to come to a safe temperature. In that extra time, bacteria can form on the meat. If all you have is frozen chicken, I recommend thawing it first.
Yes! To make oven-baked salsa chicken, place the chicken breasts on a lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Coat the chicken in seasoning, top with salsa, cover with foil and bake it in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees F or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF.
Remove the foil, top with cheese, and bake just until melted.
You can! To make salsa chicken on the stove, season the chicken breasts and add to a large skillet with the salsa. Bring to a simmer on medium-high heat, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Top with cheese, cover and let melt.
Leftover salsa chicken will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months. To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then microwave or warm on the stove until heated through. If the chicken has dried out slightly, add another scoop of salsa to moisten.
If you’re not eating this salsa chicken straight out of the crockpot with a fork, here are a few ways you can serve it:
- In tacos. Layer it into a soft or hard taco shell with lettuce, pico, guacamole, sour cream, and cheese.
- In fajitas. Serve it in warm flour tortillas with roasted fajita veggies.
- Over rice. Serve it over a bed of brown rice with your favorite taco/burrito mix-ins to make a burrito bowl!
- On nachos. Use it as a topping for cheesy loaded nachos.
- In taco salad. Try it in my chicken taco salad recipe for a fun flavor twist.
More Crockpot Chicken Recipes to Try
If you love making chicken in the crockpot, check out more of my easy crockpot chicken recipes!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Crockpot Salsa Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup jarred tomato salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Place chicken breasts in a 3-4 quart slow cooker.
- Stir together chili powder, garlic powder and salt and sprinkle over chicken breasts.
- Pour salsa on top of chicken.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours, until the chicken breasts reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Turn the slow cooker off, open the lid and sprinkle with cheese. Put the lid and allow cheese to melt for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel