This Easy Potato Salad Recipe has just a few simple ingredients, a creamy mayo-based dressing, and is loaded with tender chunks of potatoes and hard-boiled eggs. It’s perfect for making ahead!
This recipe appeared first on The Recipe Critic.
Summer is in full force over here and we’re allllll about easy!
I know that everyone has their own variation on potato salad, and what makes a potato salad authentic. Some people add celery (no thanks!), dill pickles, pickle juice, bacon, mustard, etc., etc., etc.
And you can absolutely do that if that’s your thing 😉
But I wanted to show you a simple, easy Potato Salad recipe that you can take and make your own as you wish. Because we’re not big fans of recipe rules around here!
How to Make Potato Salad:
- Choose the right potatoes. You want to choose good potatoes for boiling, ones that are going to cook up nice and creamy. I like red potatoes or little yellow potatoes. I also prefer to choose something with a smooth, thin skin as I refuse to peel potatoes! (If you insist on peeling them before making this salad, then that isn’f a factor for you).
- Add the eggs: you can definitely skip the hard-boiled eggs if you prefer, but I think they add a little variety and some extra creaminess to the salad. Plus, protein!
- Mix things up: add in some fresh chopped dill (my favorite!), some crispy bacon, a splash or barbecue sauce or — gasp — even Sriracha! Feel free to experiment a little until you get your ultimate combination.
How to make this Easy Potato Salad even easier:
- Cook your potatoes in the Instant Pot. I know not everyone has an Instant Pot, but it’s seriously so easy to cook potatoes in there and no watching the pot or boiling over. Simple add your diced potatoes to the Instant Pot with 1 1/2 cups of water or chicken broth, and cook on Manual high for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool
- Buy pre-cooked, pre-peeled hard boiled eggs. Friends, these things are so awesome in a pinch. I actually hate making hard-boiled eggs, and will often buy these when I need a quick potato salad.
- Shell your eggs and bake. If you don’t want to buy hard-boiled eggs, you can simple crack the eggs into silicone muffins cups or a small silicone pan, and bake until done. No need to stir! You want that nice yellow yolk in tact after baking.
Easy Potato Salad recipe
- 6 medium red potatoes finely diced
- 3 hard-boiled eggs peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook potatoes until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain well and move to a large bowl to cool completely in the refrigerator.
- Once potatoes are cooled, add eggs.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, chives, milk, vinegar, salt, mustard and pepper and pour over top. Stir to coat, adding additional milk for extra creaminess as desired.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of paprika and extra chives as desired and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.