This easy Cabbage Soup is a healthy soup recipe made with just SIX ingredients, including cabbage, carrots, onions, celery, and tomatoes. Dairy free, vegetarian, gluten free and DELICIOUS.
Table of Contents
This Cabbage Soup is part of my 6 Ingredient Suppers series! Click here for all of my 6 Ingredient Suppers.
I know, I know.
Maybe Cabbage Soup isn’t as exciting for you as it is for me, but once you make it, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised how incredibly flavorful it is!
I will confess that I don’t eat a lot of cabbage in other applications 😉
No cabbage rolls for me, and this Homemade Coleslaw I make for my family because they love it.
But Cabbage Soup always reminds me of my mom, and my grandparents, and being a child because my mom would make a similar version of Cabbage Soup (though with a lot more than 6 ingredients!) that we called Cabbage Borscht or Cumst Borscht. It’s a Mennonite classic!
This version is much simpler to make, and though it’s not quite the same, it still has a lot of the same flavors and is such a warming, comforting meal when it’s cold outside!
I had a nasty cold when I started testing this recipe, and it was seriously the best cure! It will warm you right through.
How to make Cabbage Soup:
- Chop your veggies! Onion, carrots, celery and cabbage. Aside from this, there’s very little prep to be done.
- Heat some oil in a dutch oven and saute your veggies to give them a head start. I find if I don’t do this, I’m left with crunchy bits of onion and celery which no one likes!
- Add your diced tomatoes and chicken or vegetable broth — cover and simmer until all the vegetables are tender! This can take some time, but it’s hands off time so I’m not too worried about it!
- Serve! Be sure to have some dinner buns, biscuits or crusty bread handy, and if you want to add a tried and true Mennonite twist, a splash of heavy cream 😉
Variations on this Cabbage Soup:
- Add some protein: can easily add ground Italian sausage or ground beef to this recipe (or ground Italian turkey sausage if you want to keep it light) — simply saute in the pan before adding your vegetables and continue on with the recipe. Some of this Crockpot Shredded Chicken or Instant Pot Shredded Chicken would also make a great addition!
- Add more veggies: throw them in when sauteeing the other vegetables (mushrooms, peppers, etc)., when simmering the soup (potatoes, green beans, etc) or throw them in just before serving (frozen vegetables).
- Add more herbs and spices: you can easily bump up the herbs and spices in this recipe by adding some additional garlic or Italian seasoning (the same herbs that will be in the tomatoes), or even dill (as is in my traditional cabbage borscht recipe) or other herbs you enjoy. Want it spicy? Add a pinch or two of red pepper flakes.
- Add in some cooked rice and ground beef for cabbage roll soup.
- Add in pasta or beans to make this soup even heartier.
- Add in crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce to thicken the soup and give more tomato flavor.
How to store Cabbage Soup:
In the refrigerator:
This soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. It’s a great soup for making ahead because it tastes even better the next day!
How to freeze Cabbage Soup:
This is also a great soup for freezing!
I prefer to freeze in large freezer bags as they don’t take up a lot of freezer space and they can be thawed quickly.
Pour into a freezer bag, seal and freeze flat. To thaw, leave at room temperature for 3-4 hours, or place in a sink of shallow, room temperature water for 30-45 minutes.
You can also freeze in freezer jars or any freezer safe container.
More healthy soup recipes:
- Lasagna Soup: Crockpot or Instant Pot
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Chicken Rice Soup – Stove Top or Slow Cooker
- Beef and Barley Soup
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage (about ⅓ large head)
- 3 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings 14oz/400ml
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add cabbage, carrots, celery and onion and cook, stirring often, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until all vegetables are tender (40-60 minutes, depending on your preferred consistency).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel