This easy Homemade Coleslaw recipe is way better than store bought! Made with shredded cabbage and a homemade coleslaw dressing everyone loves!
It’s that time of year again!
How many times have I said that just in the last two months?
The point is, the weather is warmer (mostly) and we are obsessed with grilling, cold salads, fresh produce, and al fresco breakfasts, lunches and dinners.
Coleslaw has been a long time favorite salad of my family’s. I think they prefer this coleslaw recipe over any other summer salad I could put in front of them!
The homemade coleslaw dressing is creamy, tangy and a bit sweet, and pairs perfectly with shredded cabbage and carrots. It’s made with a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen!
How to make this Coleslaw Recipe:
- Shred your cabbage using a fine (but not too fine) grater. I like to use a combination of red and green cabbage because it adds a fun pop of color!
- Shred your carrots using the same grater so that all of the vegetables are a similar size.
- Stir together the dressing, toss it with your vegetables and refrigerate until ready to serve!
How to make Coleslaw Dressing:
This homemade coleslaw dressing is so easy to make, you’ll never buy the bottle again!
- Stir together your mayo, sugar, cider vinegar, salt and pepper.
- That’s really it. I mean, one step coleslaw dressing? Why would you ever buy it?!?
Variations on this coleslaw recipe:
- Add in other vegetables your family enjoys, finely shredded.
- Need to save some time? Buy a bag of pre-shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix, or even broccoli slaw mix, and simply toss it together with this coleslaw dressing.
- Add a squirt of sriracha to the dressing for a little spice
- Adjust the seasoning in the dressing to your tastes, adding more salt, more sweetness, or more vinegar to suit your tastes.
Making coleslaw ahead:
Coleslaw is a great salad for making a little ways in advance as it helps the cabbage to soften slightly as it sits.
Now, we don’t want it to be totally soggy and watery, so you can’t leave it for too long, but a few hours in the fridge is recommended, and my family even enjoys eating it the next day.
If you do need to make more than a few hours in advance, here are some guidelines.
- Opt for more green cabbage than red, because as the red cabbage releases it’s juices it will turn the entire bowl pink. Very, very pink.
- Shred your cabbage and carrots, and store in an airtight freezer bag up to 2 days. Make your dressing, keep it separate in the fridge up to 1 week. Then you can simply toss a couple hours before you need to serve it, but it won’t require any work from you!
- 1/2 green cabbage shredded
- 1/2 red cabbage shredded
- 2 large carrots peeled and shredded
- 1 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- To shred cabbage, cut in quarters, slice off the core, and slice finely with a knife.
- Place cabbage and carrots in a large bowl.
- Whisk together mayo, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables in bowl and stir well. Refrigerate up to 6 hours before serving (see post above for making further in advance)