They’re breakfast. They’re lunch. They’re appetizers.
All of my favorite things that aren’t full of sugar.
I’m not going to go on and on and on about how I love breakfast food, and how it’s my absolute favorite.
But I’m not sure what else to say about them!
I get into food ruts big time, but I kind of don’t think it’s a bad thing. I mean, I like chips. And I like making chips into a meal, whether that’s BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Nachos or these Breakfast Taco Bites.
I like doughnuts (don’t you?!).
I like chocolate.
I like cheese.
I like potatoes.
And so, I’m not going to apologize.
My sister once asked me why I have so many recipes that are pretty much the same. I had, like, 3 whole no-bake cookie recipes on the blog at that time. To be fair, it was quite a while ago that she said that. And I’ve gotten into different food ruts since then.
Like chips for dinner.
After I made these nachos, I was dreaming up all sorts of nacho ideas. I was also thinking Mexican food for Cinco de Mayo and breakfast ideas for Mother’s Day. And they just sort of happened.
These are super easy to make ahead, which is really one of the best things about them (I mean, other than the fact that they are tasty). It would be super easy to cook up your filling and refrigerate it up to a day in advance, then just scoop and bake.
I chose to mix most of the cheese into the eggs, because the thought of spooning the eggs in and then trying to top each one with a good amount of cheese seemed a little labor intensive. I’m actually glad I did though, because the cheese melts and acts as the glue between the chip and the filling, and it’s not nearly as messy when you’re eating them! I topped with just a bit of extra cheese before putting them in the oven.
I didn’t add any spice to the eggs (but you could if you like things really spicy!), so I like to top mine with a nice dollop of chunky salsa. A fresh pico de gallo would be fantastic, too!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Breakfast Taco Bites
- 36 tortilla chip scoops
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 breakfast sausage links
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 3 slices bacon chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 green onions (or cilantro) chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line tortilla chip scoops on a baking sheet. Set aside. *See note for make ahead directions.
- In a large frying pan, add the eggs, milk and salt. Cook, scrambling, over medium heat until completely cooked. Remove from the pan and place in a medium bowl.
- Remove sausage from casings and scramble fry in the pan, breaking up with a spatula as the sausage cooks. Add peppers and bacon, fry over medium heat until cooked. Remove from the pan and add to the eggs in the bowl.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese (this works best when egg mixture is luke warm and not hot, because otherwise the cheese will be one glob and not disperse throughout).
- Spoon egg mixture into tortilla chip scoops and top with remaining ½ cup cheese. Bake for 8-10 minutes until hot and cheese is melted.
- Top with salsa and chopped green onions as desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel