Mini tortilla chips stuffed with delicious sausage, fluffy scrambled eggs, sweet bell peppers, and cheese, these Breakfast Taco Bites are mini mouthfuls bursting with Mexican flavors! They are breakfast. They’re lunch. And they’re appetizers. And they’re so yummy!
Table of Contents
Let me tell you how these Breakfast Taco Bites came about for me.
I can get into food ruts occasionally, where I kind of have a one-track mind regarding the recipes I want to make and share here.
I mean, I like chips. And I like making chips into a meal.
After I made these BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Nachos I was dreaming up all sorts of nacho ideas.
I was also thinking about Mexican food for Cinco de Mayo and breakfast ideas for Mother’s Day, and these delicious Breakfast Taco Bites just sort of…happened.
Don’t let the name fool you as well. They’re called ‘breakfast taco bites’ but this is a great recipe for your appetizer or snack tables too.
These are even super easy to make ahead of time, which makes them the perfect party or brunch food.
I also topped them with just a bit of extra cheese before putting them in the oven.
I didn’t add any spice to the eggs (but you could if you like things really spicy!), so I like to top mine with a nice dollop of chunky salsa. A fresh pico de gallo would be fantastic, too!
- Tortilla Chip Scoops: use store-bought chip scoops or make your own with tortilla wraps!
- Egg: scrambled eggs are a great way to add protein to these bites.
- Milk: to make the scrambled eggs fluffy and creamy.
- Salt: to enhance all the flavors in these breakfast bites.
- Sausage: I used breakfast link sausages (simply unwrap the casing before using) but you can use your favorite kind of sausages, ground sausage or diced ham.
- Red Pepper: to add color and texture to these delicious bites.
- Bacon: crispy cooked bacon adds a great smoky flavor to these bites.
- Cheese: use a block of cheddar cheese that you grate yourself for the best flavor.
- Salsa: use your favorite store-bought salsa, or make your own!
- Green Onion: use finely chopped green onions for a burst of fresh flavor as a garnish. You can use chopped fresh herbs if you prefer.
How to Make Breakfast Taco Bites
Breakfast taco bites are quick and easy to make! Full instructions are included in the recipe card below.
- Put scoops on tray: Line up tortilla chip scoops on a baking sheet.
- Mix eggs: Add the eggs, milk, and salt to a frying pan and stir.
- Scramble eggs: Cook and scramble the eggs, and put them in a medium bowl.
- Cook sausage: Remove sausage meat from casings and fry in the pan with the peppers and bacon.
- Combine ingredients: Combine scrambled eggs, sausage, and pepper mix in the bowl with the cheese.
- Assemble taco bites: Spoon the mixture into each tortilla chip scoop, top with cheese and bake. Garnish and serve.
Breakfast Taco Bites FAQs
You can serve these bites on their own for an appetizer or as breakfast snacks, on a platter, or as part of a taco bar with sour cream, my Homemade Salsa recipe, fresh guacamole, my Rotel Dip, and this Taco Dip, or my Dorito Taco Salad!
You can prepare the eggs, sausage, peppers, and bacon as described, and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 day before assembling the taco bites. Then, fill the scoops and bake together as stated.
Store these little bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Allow them to cool to room temperature before putting them in the fridge. The chips will soften so I do recommend eating them fresh. You can try re-crisping them in a 400 degree F oven before serving.
Tips and Notes
- Homemade Tortilla Scoops. Make your own tortilla scoops from flour tortillas, corn tortillas, or whole wheat tortillas! First, choose your tortillas, and using round cookie cutters, cut small circles out of the tortilla wraps. Then, cover both sides of each of the mini tortillas with a little bit of vegetable oil. Mold the mini tortillas into the cups of a mini muffin tin, then bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. When cooled, use the cups in the same way as the chip scoops in the recipe. You can even make larger chip scoops in a regular cupcake tin if you prefer!
- Adding the cheese. Adding cheese to the mix works best when the egg mixture is lukewarm and not hot, otherwise the cheese will melt into a glob and not disperse well throughout.
Breakfast Taco Bites Variations
- Meat. You can use any kind of sausage meat you like, or ground meat like ground beef, turkey, or pork.
- Protein. Add refried beans, black beans, or kidney beans, for extra protein.
- Cheese. Use your favorite cheese for these breakfast bites. Sharp cheddar cheese works well, as does a Mexican cheese blend,
- Vegetarian. Stuff these tortilla cups with vegetarian fillings like beans and extra veggies instead of meat for a meat-free version. Check out my Slow Cooker Vegetarian Burritos for some great combinations!
- Spice it up. Add some cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or even hot sauce to the egg mixture before spooning it into the cups for some spice.
- Garnish. Top breakfast taco bites with my Homemade Salsa Recipe, chopped green onions, chopped fresh cilantro, or some other fresh herbs.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Breakfast Taco Bites
- 36 tortilla chip scoops
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 breakfast sausage links
- ½ cup finely chopped red pepper
- 3 slices bacon chopped
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 green onions or cilantro chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line tortilla chip scoops on a baking sheet. Set aside. *See note for make-ahead directions.
- In a large nonstick skillet, add the eggs, milk, and salt. Cook, scrambling, over medium heat until completely cooked. Remove from the pan and place in a medium bowl.
- Remove sausage meat from casings and scramble fry in the pan, breaking it up with a spatula as the sausage cooks. Add peppers and bacon, and fry over medium heat until cooked. Remove from the pan and add to the eggs in the bowl.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese (this works best when the egg mixture is lukewarm and not hot because otherwise, the cheese will be one glob and not disperse throughout).
- Spoon egg mixture into each tortilla scoop and top with remaining ½ cup cheese. Bake for 8-10 minutes until hot and the cheese is melted.
- Top with salsa and chopped green onions as desired.
- Make Ahead: You can prepare the eggs, sausage, peppers, and bacon as described, and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 day before assembling the taco bites. Then, fill the scoops and bake together as stated.
- Store: Store these little bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Allow them to cool to room temperature before putting them in the fridge.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel