These Slow Cooker Vegetarian Burritos are made with just 6 ingredients and 5 minutes prep! Lots of add in options, or make a burrito bowl!
Week two of Six Ingredient Suppers and I’m bringing a vegetarian and vegan burrito recipe for my meatless friends!
I know this is an unusual sight around The Recipe Rebel, but this is one recipe I really wanted to try to see if we would miss the meat with everything these burritos have going on.
The answer: we didn’t.
These Slow Cooker Vegetarian Burritos are loaded with rice, black beans, sweet corn, salsa and seasoned with chili powder, for the perfect spicy/sweet/smoky combination.
Surprisingly, we don’t do a ton of “Tex Mex” food here, but we love these Instant Pot Chicken Tacos and this Taco Lasagna! It was time to get a little more adventurous with our taco nights, and these burritos were a hit.
What I love most about these vegan burritos is how easy they are to customize, make ahead, freeze, and just generally do absolutely whatever you want with them.
This recipe is so flexible and I’m giving you tons of ways to make them your own down below!
Variations on these Slow Cooker Vegetarian Burritos:
- Add in extra protein: add some cooked, shredded chicken or cooked ground beef to the slow cooker at the beginning of the cook time.
- Add in extra veggies: chopped peppers or onions would be awesome in here and add a ton of flavor!
- Serve them up burrito bowl style: scoop some burrito filling into a bowl, and load it up with your favorite toppings: cheese, salsa, avocado, lime wedges, more cheese, sour cream… the list goes on.
- Burrito style: spoon the filling into a flour or corn tortilla and top with your favorite toppings — these are always perfect served cold for lunches!
- Mix up the seasonings and spices: choosing a different salsa will add a fun punch of flavor, or add a pinch of cayenne or dash of hot sauce for a spicier twist.
How to freeze burritos:
Burritos are perfectly freezer friendly, and honestly, one of my favorite freezer meals because of how easy they are to wrap, thaw and serve individually so you can grab however many you need. These Breakfast Burritos are another one of our favorites to keep stashed in the freezer!
- Wrap up your burritos with your favorite toppings — leaving out things that don’t fare well in the freezer like avocado or fresh greens. Wrap in a piece of foil or parchment paper and freeze up to 3 months.
- Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or on half heat or defrost in the microwave. Lightly grease a skillet and fry on each side until golden brown (P.S. I even love doing this with fresh burritos because I love a crispy exterior!)
You can also freeze just the filling in a large freezer bag or in individual servings — this works great if you plan to use them for burrito bowls!
More easy slow cooker dinners you’ll love:
- Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Italian Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Pork Tenderloin with Honey Balsamic Glaze
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Burritos
- 1 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned sweet corn drained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup long grain converted* white rice rinsed
- 1 cup jarred tomato salsa mild or spicy depending on your tastes
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder or taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large flour tortillas
- shredded cheese, additional salsa, sour cream, cilantro for serving as desired
- In a 2.5-4 quart slow cooker, add beans, corn, water, rice (rinse well first!), salsa, chili powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 2 hours or just until rice is tender (this may take longer depending on how hot your slow cooker cooks).
- Serve in flour tortillas with additional toppings as desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel