An easy, one skillet Mexican dish that the whole family will love! Made easier with frozen hashbrown potatoes and packed with hidden veggies!
I’m all about shortcuts these days.
There was a time, before I was a working, blogging, single mom of a 2 year old 5 days a week, that I would have been too sophisticated for shortcuts.
In my husband’s busy season, he is usually gone before our daughter wakes up in the morning and home after she gets to bed, Monday to Friday. It’s not ideal, that’s for sure, but it also means he got to spend 6 months as a stay at home dad, and that more than makes up for his time away. Since I also work, things can get pretty hectic during the week.
In my previous life, I would have been way too classy to pick up a bag of frozen hashbrowns at the grocery store.
How things change.
I still love the idea of making absolutely everything from scratch. But there are times when something’s got to give, and I sure don’t want it to be my sanity.
So I cook simple, one-pot meals and use shortcuts now and then. But I have a feeling that I’m not the only one, so here it is!
Variations on this Taco Beef and Potato Skillet:
- Substitute canned or frozen veggies for the carrots, onion and pepper. Add in different ones if you have them in your fridge!
- Swap the ground beef for beans if you are vegetarian or just don’t have ground beef on hand.
- Swap the hashbrowns for tater tots if those are more readily available.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Taco Beef and Potato Skillet
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 4 cups frozen hasbrowns cubed or shredded, thawed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 medium carrots shredded
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 sweet pepper diced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 cup plain tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the hasbrowns and cook until crispy and browned, stirring only as necessary (don’t stir too much or they’ll get mushy!). Remove from the skillet and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, cook ground beef, carrots, onion, pepper, cumin, salt, garlic powder, chili powder, oregano and paprika until beef is browned, about 5-8 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce and salsa.
- Top with hashbrowns and cheese, cover and heat over medium heat until cheese is melted.
- Optional: top with green onions and serve with more salsa.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel