Air Fryer Frozen French Fries are hot and crispy and just as good as your favorite takeout spot! With a simple seasoning and lots of ways to customize!
Table of Contents
I know, I know. Frozen french fries?
You know what? Sometimes you just need a basket of crispy, salty fries to get you through the week. (Though if you’re feeling really motivated you can make these Air Fryer French Fries from scratch!)
They’re delicious, and while we don’t have them often, when we do we definitely make our frozen french fries in the air fryer!
Frozen fries from the air fryer are just so extra super crispy, they’re totally irresistible! They’re one of our favorite things to cook in the air fryer, along with this Air Fryer Chicken Breast and these Air Fryer Baked Potatoes!
Air Fryer Frozen French Fries versus the oven:
Although we sometimes still use our oven to bake frozen fries, we prefer our air fryer overall for a few reasons.
The air fryer can preheat in just a few minutes, whereas our oven can take 10 or even more if we’re baking something at a high temperature! It is heating a large space, so it’s less energy efficient.
The air fryer is portable, which means we can bring it outside if we’re grilling burgers, or even on a camping trip. It is like having a small, efficient oven at your disposal!
The air fryer cooks everything more quickly. You’re not shaving off a ton of time, but overall I’ve found that most things cook more quickly (that’s that hot air movement at work!) in the air fryer, including french fries.
And lastly, air fryer frozen french fries are the crispiest, period. You can still get great results in the oven, but the air fryer is the queen of a great crisp, without making food dry and hard.
The only time we choose the oven over the air fryer for french fries is when we’re serving a crowd and we need a lot all at once.
How long does it take to cook french fries in the air fryer?
The short answer? 12-25 minutes.
The long answer? It depends, on a few different factors.
The exact cook time required will depend on the size of your fries (thin cut versus wedges, etc.), the cooking temperature, how full the air fryer basket is, the size of your air fryer, and how crispy you want them!
If you are cooking thin cut fries, in a single layer, at a high temperature, probably 10-12 minutes is sufficient.
If you’re cooking potato wedges, in a thicker layer, even at a high temperature they will require probably closer to 20 minutes, maybe longer if you want them extra crispy.
The great thing about the air fryer is that you can simply open it and take a peek! Shake the basket, put it back in and cook until they are done to your satisfaction.
For best results with any kind of fries, I cook at 400 degrees and check/shake every 5 minutes until done.
Different ways to season frozen french fries:
When we want a classic fry, we often use just salt and maybe a bit of pepper. But there are so many fun options to do them up!
- Swap the salt for seasoning salt for extra punch
- Use Cajun or Taco seasoning for some kick
- Use your favorite garlic herb blend (and maybe sprinkle with Parmesan when they come out!)
- Got a selection of popcorn seasonings? Try those! All Dressed, Ketchup, Dill Pickle, or White Cheddar are all fun varieties to try.
What to serve with air fryer french fries?
While we usually serve air fryer fries as a side, you know I’m not going to tell you you can’t make a meal out of them 😉 These Nacho Fries are a great way to take them to the next level!
Here are a few more things we love to pair them with:
- The Best Burgers – so juicy and flavorful!
- Grilled Turkey Burgers
- Baked Chicken Breast and a Broccoli Salad
- Air Fryer Turkey Nuggets – the kids love these!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 250 grams frozen french fries (more or less depending on the size of your air fryer and servings you want)
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss frozen french fries with seasoning salt.
- Open the air fryer basket and brush with oil (not totally necessary, but ensures the fries will not stick).
- Place frozen french fries in air fryer basket in a single layer or as close as possible.
- Cook at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, checking and stirring every 5 minutes, until crispy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel