This Air Fryer Chicken Breast is perfectly seasoned and incredibly juicy! It is golden and crispy on the outside and SO flavorful!
The Air Fryer has quickly become one of our favorite way to cook certain things, and chicken is definitely one of them.
Spoiler: this Air Fryer Chicken Breast is outstanding.
They turn out perfectly every time, and are almost completely hands off (other than a couple minutes prep!).
I’m sharing all my tips and tricks below to make sure your air fryer chicken turns out just the way you want it!
Why we love to cook chicken breasts in the air fryer:
- I mean, they’re perfect: they come out with the perfect combination of golden on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside!
- Less babysitting: I don’t have to worry about them burning, or sticking, or overcooking like I do when I’m cooking them in a skillet.
- You don’t have to heat up the oven: while I love my Baked Chicken Breasts, you do need to turn on the oven. In the summer time, why not air fry them instead? It’s more energy efficient and they cook up super quick!
- They’re great for meal prep: whether you just want some cooked chicken for sandwiches, salads, or easy lunches, they’re easy enough that you can make a batch on the weekend and enjoy them over the next few days.
How long do I cook chicken breast in the air fryer?
Well, it depends!
It depends on your air fryer temperature and how thick your chicken breasts are.
I like to cook my chicken breasts for a shorter time at a higher temperature, so I opt for 400 degrees F for a cook time of 10-15 minutes.
The exact cook time is hard to tell, and will depend on the size and shape of your chicken breast.
For better results, you can use a heavy rolling pin or flat meat mallet to flatten any thicker parts of your chicken breasts so that they cook more evenly — although I don’t usually go through this extra step.
And always be sure to check the internal temperature with an instant read thermometer to ensure it reaches 165 degrees F.
Is air fryer chicken healthy?
Air fryer Chicken Breasts aren’t really any healthier than chicken breasts that are cooked with the same ingredients on the stove top, in the oven, or in the slow cooker.
The air fryer is a healthier method than deep frying food, so this air fryer chicken breast is healthier than deep fried chicken, but that’s not really an equal comparison.
That being said, chicken breasts are still a lean protein option, and we love cooking them in the air fryer because they are the juiciest we’ve ever had! (Check out this photo taken right after I sliced them!)
Variations on this Air Fryer Chicken Breast recipe:
- Swap breasts for thighs: you can swap boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the chicken breasts in the recipe and you won’t need to change the recipe much — I would set your air fryer timer for 8 minutes and then check for doneness with a meat thermometer, as they are usually smaller than chicken breasts. (I also recommend checking out this Air Fryer Chicken Thighs recipe!)
- Swap the seasoning: have a go-to seasoning blend of spices you love? It will work perfectly here! Think garlic herb, cajun, barbecue, taco, Greek — any dry blend can be substituted. Just sprinkle on both sides evenly before cooking.
How do you keep chicken breast from drying out in the Air Fryer?
That’s easy! Just be sure to cook it until it’s done, and not more than that.
Chicken breasts dry out when they are overcooked because they are so lean, so the best way to have juicy Air Fryer Chicken Breasts is to use a meat thermometer to watch the internal temperature (165 degrees F is what you’re looking for!).
What to serve with this air fryer chicken breast:
This chicken breast is a versatile protein that goes with so many things!
Slice it to top a Caesar salad, stir it into your favorite pasta or Buttered Noodles, or serve with some of our favorite sides:
- Lyonnaise Potatoes — with caramelized onions!
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Homemade Mac and Cheese — made in one pot!
- Roasted Potatoes and Carrots — a reader favorite!
Leftover Air Fryer Chicken Breasts? Use it in these recipes!
- Stir some into this Veggie Lo Mein
- Use it in this Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Swap your leftover chicken for the ham in this Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes recipe
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees according to manufacturer's instructions if your air fryer requires preheating (I simply turn mine to 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes while I prepare the chicken)
- Pat chicken dry and rub with canola oil.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, parsley, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. Sprinkle over both sides of the chicken.
- Lightly spray the inside of the air fryer basket with non stick spray and place the chicken breasts in the bottom.
- Place the basket inside the air fryer and set the cook time for 12 minutes (a couple minutes more or less depending on the size of your chicken breasts — keeping in mind you can always easily add more time but you can't take it away).
- At the end of the cook time, check the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken with a meat thermometer to ensure it has reached 165 degrees F. If it has not, return it to the air fryer for 2-3 minutes until cooked through.
- Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel