This White Chicken Skillet Lasagna is made with SIX ingredients in ONE pot! It’s creamy and hearty and the perfect comfort food. Full step by step recipe video down in the recipe card.
Table of Contents
We’re moving along with another Six Ingredient Supper (<– see all of them over here!) today, and it’s a reader favorite!
This Slow Cooker White Chicken Lasagna was my first Six Ingredient Supper I shared back in January, and it was a big hit with all of you!
For that reason, I knew I had to create a skillet version for those days when you just don’t have a few hours to make dinner 😉
This White Chicken Lasagna is a favorite with the kids — it’s creamy and hearty and we love how it’s so customizable!
Tips for making the best White Chicken Skillet Lasagna:
- Be a little flexible: when making a one pot pasta, you can change things up a lot because you are constantly monitoring the cooking process. So keep an eye on the pot, stir regularly, and use your instincts to tell you what it needs.
- Add more liquid if necessary: you might find that the liquid is absorbed more quickly sometimes than others. There are a lot of factors that play into this, including the type of liquid you’re using (heavier cream will thicken more quickly and you’ll need more of it), how much you have the lid on or off, and the type of noodles you’re using. If you notice it needs a little more, add a little more, gradually.
- Use a great pan: the most infuriating thing for me in the kitchen is those really awful pans. We all have some that just cook better than others — they don’t stick, they heat evenly, they are nice and deep. When you’re cooking a lot of one pot meals, spring for a great, large stove-to-oven skillet that you will love cooking in.
- Break your pasta into smaller pieces: the smaller the pieces, the more evenly they will cook, and the less chance there is that they’ll stick together.
Can I use oven ready lasagna noodles?
Most one pot pastas are actually extremely customizable, because you are almost constantly monitoring the cooking process and it’s easy to adapt on the go.
For that reason, yes, you can definitely use oven ready noodles if that’s all you have. You may find they absorb liquid differently, or they cook a little quicker, but as long as you know that you may need to adjust the liquid on the fly then they will work perfectly fine!
Variations and substitutions for this white chicken lasagna:
Because this White Chicken Lasagna is part of my 6 Ingredient Suppers series, I stuck to the basics. But I always love to add all the ways you can mix things up, because these recipes are so easy to make your own!
- Add vegetables: you can add them with the chicken, or with the pasta, or right at the end, it really just depends on how long they take to cook and how tender you like them. Vegetables like broccoli and spinach are added closer to the end because they turn to mush quickly. Mushrooms you may want to saute with the chicken. Carrots and peppers take longer and you may want to add them close to the beginning.
- Swap out the chicken for Italian sausage, smoked sausage, or ground turkey.
- Add some heat: make this a cajun chicken lasagna by adding some cajun seasoning.
- Switch up the herbs: use what you have, add a spoonful of pesto, or rummage through the spice drawer and get a little creative with what you find.
- Swap out the pasta: you can use any cut of pasta in here, but you will want to use roughly the same weight of pasta (250g), since we are not measuring lasagna noodles by volume, and keep in mind the cook time and amount of liquid required may be different.
More 6 Ingredient Suppers you’ll love!
- Sheet Pan Mini Meatloaf and Roasted Potatoes
- Instant Pot Goulash
- Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- Taco Casserole
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
White Chicken Skillet Lasagna
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 10 lasagna noodles, broken (250g)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Add chicken breasts and cook for 3-5 minutes until browned on one side (they should release easily from the pan when ready).
- Flip chicken and add chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a low simmer over medium-low heat, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before shredding.
- To the chicken broth in the pan, add the cream and Italian seasoning. Stir.
- Add in broken lasagna noodles and stir well. Bring back up to a low simmer.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, until tender, stirring every few minutes.
- When noodles are cooked, stir chicken back in and top with shredded cheese. Cover and let melt before serving.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel