This easy Taco Casserole recipe is made with just 6 ingredients and ready in 30 minutes! Make ahead and freezer friendly!
Today we’re kicking off a new month in my Six Ingredient Suppers series (<– see all of my six ingredient suppers over there), and this month is all about SKILLET recipes!
We’re talking easy, one pan meals, made with just 6 ingredients or less!
If you can’t tell, I’m a little excited.
There have been some awesome 6 ingredient dinners so far, but this month has some of my favorites! I can’t wait to show you what’s in store.
But back to this incredible Taco Casserole, friends.
When I came up with this idea, I wasn’t sure I would able to pack in as much flavor as I wanted with just a handful of ingredients. I had a few leftover tortillas and decided to test it out one night.
I was totally blown away — so easy, and so much flavor! But more than that? The kids didn’t complain once. Which is a pretty big deal around here!
Some may call this a Taco Pie instead of Taco Casserole because of it’s round shape, but I love that it doesn’t make a giant 9×13″ pan.
With all of the recipe testing I do around here, we’re not really in need of more leftovers (though the leftovers are awesome!).
If you want, you can easily double up on the recipe and layer in a 9×13″ pan, or make two round pans (use a skillet or a pie plate), and serve both or freeze one for later.
How to make Taco Casserole:
- Start with your tortillas. Open up the bag. Yep, that’s it. Set aside.
- Brown your ground beef and veg — if you can do this in an oven safe skillet, even better because we can keep it to one pan!
- Add your salsa and seasoning, then pour into a bowl so we can use that skillet again.
- Layer tortillas, then beef, then cheese. Do it a couple more times. Add some more cheese.
- Bake for a little while, just until the cheese is melted. If you don’t have an oven safe skillet and don’t want to dirty a pie plate, you can cover the casserole and turn on low heat on the stove until the cheese is melted. Just be careful because you don’t want to burn the bottom tortilla!
Variations on this Taco Casserole recipe:
- Make this Taco Casserole vegetarian — use a can of black beans instead of beef, simmer with the other ingredients and then mash slightly so they stay put in your casserole. You can also just saute an assortment of veggies in place of the beef.
- Make this Taco Casserole gluten free by choosing corn or other gluten free tortillas.
- Make this Taco Casserole dairy free by choose dairy free cheese.
- If you want it spicy, choose a spicy salsa or spicy taco seasoning.
- Feel free to keep the beef and add in extra veg if you want to make it a little healthier.
How to make this Taco Pie ahead:
- You can make this Taco Pie ahead and refrigerate until baking — I prefer not to leave it in the refrigerator more than a day before baking, but it will be good up to 3 days.
- You can make this Taco Pie ahead and freeze — for this I recommend layering the mixture in a pie plate as it is easier to store in the freezer. Cover tightly and freeze flat. Then bake, covered, until warmed through. If you want to cut down on baking time and can plan ahead, remove the casserole and place in the refrigerator a day before you want to serve it.
More easy one pan meals you’ll love:
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1-2 teaspoon taco seasoning (1 for mild, 2 for more kick)
- 1 1/4 cup jarred tomato salsa (mild or spicy, depending on your tastes)
- 5 large tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef over medium-high heat until mostly browned.
- Add pepper and continue cooking, stirring often, until pepper has softened and meat has browned completely.
- Stir in taco seasoning and salsa, and pour into another bowl.
- Place two large tortillas, one on top of the other, in the bottom of the same skillet (or you can layer it on a sheet pan if your tortillas don't fit). Top with ⅓ ground beef mixture and ½ cup cheese.
- Repeat layers: one tortilla, ⅓ ground beef, ½ cup cheese, one tortilla, last ⅓ ground beef, ½ cup cheese, one tortilla.
- On top of the last tortilla, sprinkle the remaining cheese. Cover and cook on low until warmed through and cheese is melted, 4-5 minutes, or pop in the oven at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes if using an oven safe skillet.
- Slice and serve.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel
I made this tonight and it turned out amazing!! My son said it was 10 out of 10!! It was so easy too!! Thank you! I love your easy and delicious recipes!!
The Recipe Rebel says
Hi Christine! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this review!
I haven’t made this yet but wondering if the tortillas are soggy?
Ashley Fehr says
They do not really get soggy as the filling is quite thick.
This was awesome we loved it. I love trying different types of recipes. I make one almost like this but i add Taco rice with each layer. That is great also. I will be looking to make more of your recipes. I do all the cooking. I love to cook. Been in the Food service for 35 years. Thanks Ashley
Ashley Fehr says
I’m so glad you liked it!
Catherine Taylor says
This is SO GOOD! We are adding it to quick weeknight favorites! Thank you! 🙂
Ashley Fehr says
I’m so happy to hear that Catherine!