This Crockpot Lasagna Soup recipe is full of flavor and can be made in the crockpot or Instant Pot! It’s tomato based and made with Italian sausage, ground beef, and lots of Italian herbs and cheeses.
January always feels like the longest and the coldest month to me — last year I think we had FIVE extreme cold, no-school days just in January alone.
While I’m hoping for a better January this year, I’m definitely prepared for the cold with this easy Lasagna Soup.
I have one soup hater in my house, much to my dismay. But even my 4 year old who normally turns up her nose at any kind is in love with this hearty, meaty, cheesy soup!
There are a few key ingredients in this Lasagna Soup — mild Italian sausage (or sub ground beef if you prefer less spice), tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian herbs and a good amount of cheese — but it’s the curly lasagna noodles that really catch the eye of my picky eaters.
With a 2, a 5 and a 7 year old, life gets a little crazy around here and we look to hearty wheat recipes to fuel our busy family! Whole grain breads, pasta, hearty muffins, pancakes for a quick dinner or a cheese-and-crackers lunch when we’re short on time.
Wheat is Life’s Simple Ingredient and one that is a big part of almost every meal around here!
- Choose your meat: Italian sausage (mild or spicy), ground beef, or even ground turkey or chicken would work in here, and you can choose any of them depending on your tastes and your lifestyle. I prefer Italian sausage because of the extra flavor it adds!
- Choose your pasta: white or whole grain lasagna noodles will work just as well in this Lasagna Soup — just keep in mind that whole grain will take longer to cook and may absorb additional liquid.
- Plan ahead: the incredible flavor in this soup comes from adequate time simmering away, so this is one crockpot soup recipe that can be left cooking all day, and all you have to do when you come home is stir in the noodles and wait until they are tender.
- Make this soup recipe gluten free by substituting gluten free pasta or lasagna noodles: you will want to cook these in a separate pot of boiling water and stir them in at the end.
- Make this soup recipe dairy free by using dairy-free or vegan cheese (or omitting altogether)
- Make this soup vegetarian by using vegetable broth, omitting the meat and adding in extra vegetables like sliced zucchini, mushrooms and bell peppers.
- Bump up the spice by adding a pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes, or by choosing spicy Italian sausage
- Lower the fat by choosing Italian turkey sausage
- Don’t have frozen spinach? Toss in a handful of fresh spinach at the end.
Making this Lasagna Soup in the Instant Pot instead of the Crockpot couldn’t be easier! The best part is that you don’t need a separate pan to cook the meat.
- Cook Italian sausage and onion on saute until browned. Stir in the spices and seasonings.
- Turn Instant Pot off, and add broth. Scrape the bottom to remove any browned bits.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, spinach and noodles.
- Put the lid on, turn the valve to sealing, and pressure cook on high for 3 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then open and serve.
In the refrigerator:
If you happen to have leftover Lasagna Soup, you can store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in an airtight container
In the freezer:
You can absolutely freeze this lasagna soup for later! One thing you need to remember is that frozen and thawed pasta is softer than the first time around, and if you like your pasta with a bite then this may not be the best option for you.
If you prefer, you can cook the noodles separately and add in just when you want to serve — this way, you can easily freeze any leftovers and add the pasta in later.
This recipe is generously sponsored by Life’s Simple Ingredient and I have been compensated for my time in creating this recipe — thank you for supporting the brands that make The Recipe Rebel possible!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 540 ml canned diced tomatoes, Italian style (14oz)
- 1 1/2 cups jarred tomato pasta sauce
- 1/3 cup frozen spinach thawed and squeezed dry
- 8 lasagna noodles broken into small pieces
- shredded mozzarella, parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley for serving
- In a medium skillet, cook Italian sausage and onion over medium-high heat until sausage is browned, stirring often.
- Stir in garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Pour into a 4-6 quart crockpot.
- Add in broth, tomatoes, pasta sauce and spinach. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Open the lid, stir in the broken lasagna noodles, and cook for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Serve with cheese and fresh parsley as desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel