This Crockpot Lasagna is made with just SIX ingredients and no precooking the noodles! An easy crockpot meal you can set and forget. Includes step by step recipe video down below.
This Crockpot Lasagna is one of those recipes that I didn’t actually expect to be as good as I hoped it would be, and we were blown away by the results!
With just 6 ingredients (what?!) and a few hours in the slow cooker, it is the perfect weeknight meal or Sunday dinner.
I wasn’t sure how lasagna noodles would do in the slow cooker for several hours.
But since lasagna noodles are larger and they are stacked, this recipe comes together perfectly in just 3 or 4 hours — no mushy noodles, just big flavor.
And, yes, I’ve stuck with the basics because this Lasagna is part of my Six Ingredient Suppers series, but I’ve included tons of additions and ways to make it your own down below.
But it is incredibly delicious and comforting just the way it is 😉
Variations and substitutions for Crockpot Lasagna:
If you’ve been around here before, you know I believe in making things your own and try to include helpful tips on ways to make most recipes just the way you like them.
Obviously, I haven’t tested all of these substitutions but I do cook all day, every day so I’ve learned a thing or two 😉
Can I swap out the Italian sausage?
The Italian sausage is responsible for a lot of the flavor in this Crockpot Lasagna, since I kept it to 6 ingredients.
You can substitute the Italian sausage for turkey sausage (for a lighter recipe), or ground beef, chicken or turkey.
If you opt for unseasoned ground meat, you will want to add additional seasoning when you are browning it.
Can I use oven ready lasagna noodles?
I haven’t tested this recipe with oven ready noodles, so I can’t make any promises.
My best guess is that it would work fine, but you may want to check the lasagna for doneness a little sooner.
Can I add ricotta, cottage cheese or beschamel?
I make my classic Easy Lasagna Recipe with a layer of Ricotta cheese, but I know many others love cottage cheese or beschamel.
However you love to make your regular oven baked lasagna, you can do the same here.
Simply whip up your favorite addition (see my Easy Lasagna Recipe above for a ricotta mixture recipe), and spread it in the layers as you normally would.
Can I add extra vegetables?
There are lots of ways to add extra vegetables here.
Feel free to stir some shredded or finely chopped vegetables into the sausage as it browns, or stir in some chopped spinach just before layering.
Tips for making the best Slow Cooker Lasagna:
- Lightly grease your crockpot: we don’t want any of that deliciousness to stick!
- Cook on low: I really try to avoid using my crockpot on high unless I have to. Because the outer edges will already cook more quickly on low, I avoid using high because it may cause your edges to burn before the inside is cooked through.
- Don’t stress over perfect layers: you will have to break your noodles to fit, and it won’t be perfect. Don’t worry! It’s okay if they overlap a bit, or they don’t cover completely. As the noodles cook, they will expand and cover and mishaps 😉
- Broil, if you want to: I know there are a lot of you out there who love a good crispy browned cheese crust. Most slow cooker crocks are oven safe, so you can broil the cheese for a few minutes before serving if desired (but be sure to check first!).
More easy crockpot meals you’ll love!
- Crockpot Meatloaf — total comfort food!
- Crockpot Pineapple Chicken — also made with 6 ingredients!
- Crockpot Whole Chicken — perfect for meal prepping!
- Crockpot Potato Soup — rich and creamy!
- Crock Pot Pulled Pork — so juicy and flavorful!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
- 375 grams Italian sausage (mild or spicy, .75lb)
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 1/2 cups tomato pasta sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 lasagna noodles (not oven ready)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat, cook Italian sausage and onion until completely browned.
- Stir in pasta sauce and salt.
- Lightly grease a 2.5-4 quart slow cooker (not the deep round kind, but an oval one with more surface area).
- Spread a little bit of sauce on the bottom of the slow cooker to prevent sticking.
- Place 3 lasagna noodles in the bottom of the slow cooker, breaking to fit (save any broken pieces to fill in gaps later). Spread with ⅓ sauce, and top with ⅓ mozzarella and ⅓ Parmesan.
- Repeat layers two more times.
- Put the lid on and cook on low for 2.5-3 hours, until noodles are softened.
- Turn the slow cooker off and allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel