An easy make ahead dessert perfect for the holidays! This spiced Gingerbread Pudding Cake cooks in the slow cooker and keeps your oven free.
Can you guys believe this is only my second time making dessert in the slow cooker?
The first time was many, many years ago when my Grandma and my sister were over for supper, and I remember going a little crazy on them when they opened the lid to take a peek. “What are you doing?! You never open the lid!!”
Thankfully, since then no one has gotten quite as close to my slow cooker lid again.
So this cake.
I’d love to take all the credit for this wonder, but I’ve actually adapted the recipe from a Taste of Home Slow Cooker cookbook. I love a good spice cake or gingersnap in the winter, but I firmly believe everything is better in pudding cake form so I had to give it a go.
I made it healthier by reducing the butter and using all whole wheat flour. There are times I like to use whole wheat flour, and there are times when I don’t like to use whole wheat flour. Whole wheat flour can sometimes make things drier or tougher, or add some unwanted texture (I’m not really selling you, am I?). But in a pudding cake? You know it’s not going to be dry or tough so go all out and use 100% whole wheat flour.
Things like chocolate brownies or cakes, because the texture and flavor is masked in the chocolate, are easy to do whole wheat. I will often do vanilla desserts and yeast breads or rolls whole wheat if they’re staying at home, and use all purpose flour if I’m bringing them somewhere, because I know some people are used to the texture of whole wheat flour.
That being said, you will absolutely never notice it in a pudding cake.
I was a little nervous about this cake not working. I mean, you pour the batter in, and it looks a little gross. And it doesn’t seem like you add enough brown sugar to justify adding all that extra liquid on top, but it just works! I cooked mine on high for about 2.5-3 hours, and I would say it was just perfect. If you need it to last a little longer, I’m sure you could cook for 2.5 hours on high and then set to low.
See how easy it is to make and don’t forget to subscribe on YouTube!
Slow Cooker Gingerbread Pudding Cake
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (or sub all purpose)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until combined. Add egg and beat until combined. Add vanilla, molasses and water and beat (start on low!) until combined. There might be a few flecks of butter unincorporated, but that's okay.
- Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt and nutmeg and beat until combined. Pour into greased 3-4 quart slow cooker.
- Sprinkle batter with brown sugar. Combine hot water and melted butter and pour over brown sugar (no stirring!).
- Cover with the lid and cook on high for 2.5-3 hours. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
More slow cooker desserts!
Slow Cooker Cranberry Walnut Bread Pudding from Savory Nothings
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spiced Apples from Maebells
Slow Cooker Apple Crisp from Kristine’s Kitchen