A moist spice cake made healthier with applesauce, whole wheat flour and reduced sugar, topped with whipped cream and caramelized apples — the perfect holiday treat!
I know pumpkin is The Thing this time of year, but I’m all about the apple. I love an apple dessert loaded with spices! (Baked Apple Crisp Doughnuts maybe?)
Since I’ve been making my fair share of pumpkin treats for the hubs, I figured it was time I make something for me. This Apple Spice Cake has just the right amount of spice and sweetness, and is topped with real whipped cream and simple caramelized apples.
This is such a great dessert to bring along to a holiday dinner! It’s not too heavy or sweet and is the perfect compliment to that big old bird and mashed potatoes.
For most of our holiday gatherings, pie is the dessert of choice. But since I’m a cake girl and not a pie girl, this is my idea of the perfect ending! I’m pretty sure I can convert some of the pie lovers with those caramelized apples — that’s the best part of an apple pie anyway, right?
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Apple Spice Cake (Reduced Sugar)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 large apple peeled and sliced (I like a firm apple like Granny Smith)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CakePreheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8″ round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together canola oil, applesauce, egg, applesauce, brown sugar and vanilla until combined. Add flours, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and whisk until just combined.
- Spread into prepared pan and bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- Caramelized Apples: In a medium pan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in cinnamon and brown sugar until combined. Add apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but not mushy (cook to your desired texture). Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Whipped Cream and Assembly: When cake and apples are cooled to room temperature, make the whipped cream and assemble the cake.
- To make whipped cream, beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla, and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place cake on serving plate, top with whipped cream and caramelized apples.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel