This Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken Stew is bound to be your new favorite winter comfort food! It’s hearty, creamy, cheesy and loaded with vegetables! The crockpot makes it an easy weeknight meal.
I love hearty, creamy, winter comfort food. I can’t get enough.
I’ll eat soup and stew all year round, but there is just something so perfectly cozy about a big bowl of stew on a cold day. Especially one that cooks itself in the crockpot when you’re out in the cold!
Ingredients and substitutions for this Chicken Stew:
- Chicken breasts: we always have a big stash of chicken breasts in the freezer so that’s what I use in most of my soups and stews. You can swap these for boneless, skinless chicken thighs or even precooked, chopped chicken if you have some on hand (maybe you made a big batch of this Crockpot Shredded Chicken?)
- Vegetables: I stuck with classic vegetables in this stew, but you can leave some out if your family doesn’t enjoy them, or add in extra! The only thing you need to keep in mind is that some are best added at the beginning (the ones that take a long time to cook) and some are best added at the end, like green beans, frozen vegetables, chopped spinach or kale.
- Seasoning: I kept my seasoning simple, but you can always scan your spice drawer for something that inspires you. Just keep your herbs and spices to things that go well with that tangy, salty Parmesan flavor.
- Cream: Heavy cream will give you the thickest stew and richest flavor, but you can swap this out for any cream you have on hand (it will just be a little thinner, and not quite as rich). One of my favorite swaps for heavy cream in soups is evaporated milk, because I can stash a few cans in the cupboard and it is still thick and creamy.
- Parmesan: If you’re concerned about the flavor of the Parmesan in this stew (first, who are you?!? Kidding 😉 ), start by adding a little, or leave it out of the stew and add it to each bowl individually. We love the flavor, but everyone has their preferences!
More cozy soups and stews!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken Stew
- 1 lb Little Potatoes (quartered)
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 rib celery chopped
- ½ medium onion finely chopped
- 3 large carrots thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- ⅓ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Add potatoes, chicken, celery, onion, carrots, garlic, salt, parsley, thyme, pepper, and broth to a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender (this could take up to 6 hours depending on the temperature of your slow cooker — cutting them smaller will speed up cooking time).
- Set slow cooker to high. Stir together cream and corn starch and stir into slow cooker, along with Parmesan cheese. Cover and cook another 30-60 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread for dipping (the best way!).
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel