Easy shredded Italian Beef made in the crockpot, just SIX ingredients and loaded with flavor! Includes Instant Pot method and step by step video.
If there’s anyone who has trouble straying from a traditional roast beef with gravy, they need to try this crockpot Italian Beef!
I will admit I myself was a little skeptical, because I’m a little wary of spicy food and don’t use pepperoncini much in my day-to-day cooking.
But the flavor of this beef and the sauce is so incredible, it’s worth a try!
This crockpot Italian Beef is the perfect make ahead meal because it needs a long (think really long) cook time in order to break down and become tender, so get it started early in the morning and you won’t have to think about making dinner!
Although, you will have to smell it cooking all day long 😉
The leftovers make amazing sandwiches, quesadillas and more — see my list below of ways to store it for later or use it up!
Where did Italian Beef originate?
Believe it or not, Italian Beef is not an Italian recipe (spoiler: most Italians probably don’t use a whole lot of Italian dressing mix 😉 ).
Italian Beef is a Chicago specialty, and there are piles and piles of places to get an amazing authentic Italian Beef sandwich.
My recipe here is a shortcut, and I don’t generally load mine up with pickled vegetables like many are down in Chicago, but you definitely could!
What is the best cut of meat for Italian Beef:
Because we are cooking this roast beef low and slow, there are many different cuts of beef that will work just as well.
Typically, most pot roast or shredded beef recipes call for “chuck roast”, which can be difficult to find labelled that in Canada.
The chuck roast is from the shoulder of the cow, is leaner, and has a lot of connective tissue. When cooked quickly, it’s not that appetizing, but in the slow cooker? It develops amazing flavor!
In Canada, look for “blade” or “cross rib” roasts, though I have used almost any roast in this recipe — the long cook time breaks down meat that would otherwise be tough.
If you don’t have a blade or cross rib roast, a round roast would be your next best bet!
How to make this shredded Italian Beef in the Instant Pot:
You can easily make Instant Pot Italian Beef by combining all of the ingredients in the Instant Pot and cooking for 70-90 minutes depending on the size of your roast.
If you want to cook it more quickly, or you have a very large roast, you may want to break the roast down into 1-1.5 lb chunks just to ensure it is tender when you pop it out!
Serve with buns and cheese as desired.
What do I serve with Italian Beef?
This shredded Italian Beef makes one amazing sandwich, which is normally how it’s served, with crusty rolls and provolone cheese.
Not into sandwiches?
Try serving with some of my favorites:
- Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Garlic Herb Instant Pot Potatoes
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes Recipe
It’s also wonderful over plain cooked egg noodles or rice!
How do I store leftover shredded Italian Beef?
You can store leftover Italian Beef in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days, or place in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Need some creative ideas to use up your leftovers? Try these:
- Over pasta
- Shepherd’s Pie
- Beef Pot Pie
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
- 3-4 lb beef roast (chuck, blade or round recommended)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 package Italian dressing mix or garlic herb seasoning
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 jar pepperoncini peppers with juice*
- 12 sub or hoagie rolls
- 12 slices provolone, havarti or mozzarella cheese
- Place roast in a 4-6 quart crockpot. Season all over with salt, pepper and Italian dressing mix.
- Pour beef broth and ¾ cup brine from the jar of pepperoncinis into the bottom of the crockpot. Add ½ cup sliced pepperoncini peppers on top. (*For less spice, use only the brine and no peppers)
- Cook on low for 10-11 hours until fall apart tender (if you want it to cook more quickly, cut into 3-4 smaller pieces and cook for 8 hours).
- Shred beef in juices and serve on buns with cheese and additional pickled pepperoncinis as desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel