This Hamburger Soup recipe is hearty and comforting for chilly days! It’s loaded with vegetables, ground beef, potatoes and can be cooked on the stove top or the crock pot! Includes how to recipe video
I know we took a little break here on TRR over the crazy Christmas holidays, but soup season is back in full swing!
First up is this easy Hamburger Soup recipe — it’s super (souper!) hearty and chunky, but still has enough juices to justify slicing up that crusty bread. I promise you won’t regret it!
It’s old school comfort food at its finest.
This Hamburger Soup is naturally gluten and dairy free, but be sure to wash your vegetables and check all of your labels before serving someone with food allergies.
If you’re not concerned about allergies or food sensitivities, feel free to stir in a little cream at the end or add a sprinkling of cheese. I know that’s the way we like it here!
What do you put in Hamburger Soup?
Aside from the obvious — the hamburger or ground beef — basically, anything you want 😉
In my Hamburger Soup recipe, I start with the basics: onion, celery and carrots.
Then I add in some diced tomatoes, potatoes, and seasonings and finish with some frozen veggies for good measure, because I much prefer frozen peas over canned and you don’t really get them fresh these days.
How do you make Hamburger Soup in the crock pot?
This soup, like most soups, are easily made in the crock pot as well.
Unfortunately, you will need an extra pan to brown the ground beef with the onion, but after that you can dump the beef, onion, and all the other vegetables and seasonings right into the slow cooker to cook.
Let it cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours to ensure all the vegetables are tender.
Can you freeze Hamburger Soup?
You can absolutely freeze this soup recipe!
Simply cool to room temperature and then pour into a freezer safe container (be sure to leave room for expansion).
Or, you can pour into a large freezer bag (or do smaller bags for individual servings), seal, then freeze flat. I prefer to do it this way as it freezes and thaws more quickly and is easily stacked in the freezer.
Looking for more easy soup recipes? Try these:
- Chicken Rice Soup: Stove Top or Slow Cooker
- Easy Minestrone Soup
- 25+ Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Italian Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
And I’m going to stop there, because I’m embarrassed about exactly how many soup recipes I’ve added to The Recipe Rebel this year — it’s been a bit of an obsession!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch red chili flakes
- 1 lb red potatoes finely chopped (about 3 medium)
- 3 large carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery finely sliced
- 540 ml diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings about 2 cups
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- In a large soup pot, saute ground beef and onion until beef is cooked through. Drain any resulting fat.
- Add tomato paste, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper and chili flakes and cook and stir 1-2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery, tomatoes with juice, and broth. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce to medium and cover.
- Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and carrots are tender. Adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.