These Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are so easy! They’re made in one pot with no draining and they turn out so incredibly creamy. Perfect for a side dish for Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving or any holiday!
I know, I know — yet another Instant Pot potatoes recipe! This time, these creamy, flavourful, Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are the star.
Recipe first published on The Recipe Critic.
You would think, since these Instant Pot Baked Potatoes have been so popular, that I would have tried mashed potatoes in my pressure cooker next.
Well, I didn’t.
In fact, I’ve been on my Instant Pot experiment for 3 months now and this is my first time making mashed potatoes in it. Can you believe it? Am I totally crazy?
Apparently I have been missing out, because I don’t know if I’ll ever make mashed potatoes another way.
Maybe you know that I was an Instant Pot skeptic at the beginning of the year. I’ve been cooking everything in it (from frozen chicken breasts to taco meat to baked ziti) to try and figure out if it is actually something worth keeping around.
Let me tell you, that slowly but surely my tune is changing!
I have never really enjoyed making mashed potatoes — it can be so much work to boil them, mash them, and season them — but these mashed potatoes are so tender after pressure cooking that they almost mash themselves. I add chicken broth for cooking instead of water for extra flavour, and they really only need minimal seasoning after that.
Plus, no draining!
Tips and Tricks for Making these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
- These Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are naturally vegetarian and gluten-free (but be sure to check all of your labels!). They can easily be made dairy-free by mashing only in chicken broth or using vegan margarine instead of butter.
- I like to leave the skin on my potatoes because it has so much good stuff in it! You can peel them if you really want, but why go through all the extra work?
- Try getting a little crazy with your flavours if you like — add in some garlic and herb cream cheese, brown butter, or basil pesto for a more adventurous mashed potato 😉
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs red potatoes cut into 1.5" pieces
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add potatoes to your Instant Pot (mine is a 6 quart) or electric pressure cooker (no need for a trivet!) Add the chicken broth, salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper and stir until combined.
- Put the lid on, turn the valve to sealing, and set to Manual, high pressure, for 10 minutes. It will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure
- When the cook time is over, turn the Instant Pot off and let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes (optional -- you can do a quick release if you're in a rush!) and then open the valve to release remaining pressure.
- Add butter and mash until smooth. Season to taste. Serve.
Nutrition (this is an estimate)