These Cheesy Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes are so creamy and perfect for the holidays! No more rushing around before Christmas dinner — simply reheat and serve! Includes step by step recipe video.
Friends! How is it that we are just days away from Christmas??
Every year it seems to come more and more quickly. I think the chaos of having young kids and all their busyness, plus this year we have a kid in school, it seems to make life move at warp speed, especially around the holidays.
With a 5-year-old and an almost-3-year-old and a newborn this year, we are definitely looking for ways to make our life a little easier this time of year. These make ahead mashed potatoes are perfect for minimizing holiday dinner stress!
And you can make them whenever you can carve out 20 minutes to yourself — i.e., whenever those crazy kids will allow it. Because we all know newborns have a sixth sense for knowing just when you need your hands free and needing a little extra love right at that moment 😉
One thing that makes these mashed potatoes even easier is these Little Charmers from The Little Potato Company. The skin is so thin and the texture is so creamy, you don’t need to peel or chop or anything before boiling and mashing. They are one of my favorite time-saving hacks in the kitchen! (Even though I gave up on peeling potatoes long, long ago!)
I would love to hear about the ways you make life easier this time of year! Dinner prep tips or ways to manage time when there’s just not enough? I’m going to be needing allllll the advice this year 😉
Tips and Tricks for Making these Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes:
- I know a lot of people would use sour cream in mashed potatoes instead of cream cheese. I actually am not a fan of sour cream, but feel free to swap it out if you prefer!
- If you want to experiment even more, feel free to change up your cheeses and herbs for a totally unique combination!
*This post is generously sponsored by The Little Potato Company as part of my ambassadorship — thank you for supporting the brands that keep us fed!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Cheesy Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 3 lbs Little Potatoes I used Little Charmers Yellow Potatoes
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 1 package low fat cream cheese 8 oz
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- In a large pot of boiling salted water (ensure that the potatoes are just covered), cook potatoes until tender (no need to peel or chop!), about 12-15 minutes. Drain.
- Add broth, milk, cream cheese, salt, garlic powder, dried parsley, and pepper and mash until smooth. Stir in chives and 1 cup cheese.
- Lightly grease a 9×13″ baking dish and spread potatoes in the pan. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese and cover in foil. Refrigerate up to 24 hours, until ready to bake, or bake immediately.
- To bake: preheat oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 30 minutes or until hot. Uncover and broil if desired. Garnish with chives if desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel