This Creamy Italian Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes is simmered in the most incredible creamy sauce of roasted red peppers, spinach and Italian herbs. It’s a dump and go crockpot chicken recipe!
So we’ve got a few weeks left of “fall” and then we’re full on winter mode for the next several months.
I always enjoy the beginning of winter — the first fluffy snowflakes, steaming cups of hot chocolate, the first fires in the fireplace, cozy sweaters, and all that. You get to experience all of the good things about winter (yes, there are some!), and aren’t too jaded by the frigid temperatures just yet.
But once January comes and Christmas is over, I am so over it.
The only thing that keeps me going is hunkering down in the kitchen and whipping up our favourite cozy comfort foods: baking, soups, chili, and easy crockpot meals that can simmer away and fill the house with that incredible scent of a dinner that’s cooking long before the 5:00pm rush.
This creamy Italian Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes is a new one we’re adding to the list this year!
It is an incredibly flavourful, hearty and comforting meal of lean chicken breasts and creamy Little potatoes (I used the fingerlings in this recipe!) with a creamy sauce made with roasted red peppers, finely chopped spinach and basil pesto, which are pretty much all of my favourite things.
You should know that I am not actually Italian, and so before the angry emails start pouring in, let me just say that this here is my interpretation of Italian flavors and it’s delicious.
Tips for making this Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes:
- Choose chicken breasts or boneless, skinless chicken thighs — either will work well. Some people prefer to use chicken thighs in the slow cooker because they don’t dry out as quickly, but as long as you don’t overcook the chicken, breasts will be fantastic as well.
- Go for Creamer potatoes, like these fingerlings from The Little Potato Company. There’s no washing, and not really even any need to chop them, although I halved mine to match the cook time to my chicken breasts. If you’re using bone-in chicken breasts or thighs which will require a longer cook time, whole Creamer potatoes would be perfect.
- Know your crockpot. I say this every time, but it needs to be said! Some cook hotter and some are cooler. You don’t want overcooked chicken breast, and that’s easily done crockpot with crockpot chicken recipes. A fuller crockpot will take longer to cook, and if you’re using a large crockpot you may find you need to reduce the cook time.
Variations of this Italian Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes:
- This easy crockpot meal is naturally gluten-free, just be sure to double check all of your ingredients.
- This chicken and potatoes recipe can easily be made dairy-free by leaving out the cream or evaporated milk. It will still have awesome flavor!
- If you want to round out this meal even more, feel free to add in extra veggies, just keep the cook time in mind. If you’re using firm veggies like carrots or mushrooms, you can add them at the beginning of the cook time as they take a while to cook. Vegetables like broccoli or green beans should only be added for the last 10 or 15 minutes as they quickly become overcooked.
- Everyone has different ideas about what “healthy” is, so you are welcome to adjust the ingredients to reflect this if you desire. I prefer to use heavy cream or evaporated milk in this recipe as it’s thick and holds up to the heat of the slow cooker better than low fat options. Honestly? Our bodies need a little fat and the touch of cream in this recipe is a reasonable amount. Serve it with a salad and live your life!
How to prep this chicken and potatoes ahead:
I know how crazy it can be if you’re a working mom or dad or just a man or woman with a life outside of the house. Dinner time can be crazy! Any chance I have to prep crockpot recipes like this chicken and potatoes ahead of time, I do it. Then all I have to do is pop it into the crockpot and turn it on, and it feels amazing to not have to do anything and know that I will have an incredible dinner waiting for me when I need it.
- You can place the chicken in the slow cooker, whisk together the sauce ingredients and pour into the slow cooker with the chicken the night before cooking.
- It is best to halve and add your potatoes just before cooking, as they can turn brown if you cut in advance. If you need to slice them in advance, keep them in the refrigerator in a bowl of water, covered in plastic wrap, up to 1 day before cooking them in the slow cooker.
*This post is generously sponsored by The Little Potato Company and I have been compensated for my time in bringing you this tasty Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes recipe — thank you for supporting the brands that make The Recipe Rebel possible!
Italian Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes
- 4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or 2 large, halved lengthwise)
- 15 Little Potato Company fingerling potatoes (halved lengthwise)
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon basil pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup fresh spinach finely chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers jarred, diced
- Place chicken breasts and potatoes in a 2.5 - 4 quart crockpot.
- In a large measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together broth, cream, corn starch, pesto, salt, garlic and pepper.
- Stir in spinach and peppers and pour over potatoes in crockpot.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours, until potatoes are tender. Serve.