These Creamy Italian Instant Pot Chicken Breasts are moist, flavorful, and ready in minutes! Tender chicken breasts are coated in a creamy sauce made with chicken broth, cream, Italian herbs, and roasted red peppers!
Table of Contents
We love the pressure cooker for basic Instant Pot recipes, like Instant Pot Shredded Chicken, Instant Pot Pulled Pork, and Instant Pot Whole Chicken, but every now and then I like to branch out and add in some big flavor.
These Creamy Italian Instant Pot Chicken Breasts definitely give big flavor! This recipe is made with juicy chicken breasts pressure cooked in a rich, flavorful cream sauce flavored with herbs and roasted red peppers.
This instant pot meal is ready in under 20 minutes and perfect over Buttered Noodles, rice, or potatoes!
- Chicken Breasts: use boneless and skinless chicken breasts for quick cooking.
- Chicken Broth: I like to use low sodium chicken broth to control the saltiness of the rest of the dish.
- Garlic: you can use freshly minced garlic or keep it convenient with jarred, pre-minced garlic.
- Seasonings: we’re using a simple trio made up of Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper to season the cream sauce.
- Heavy Cream: you can use a lighter type of cream for this recipe, but it won’t have the same richness as heavy cream.
- Roasted Red Peppers: be sure to chop them roasted red peppers up so they incorporate nicely into the sauce.
- Cornstarch: helps thicken the cream sauce.
- Basil Pesto: a tablespoon of basil pesto gives the cream sauce a little something extra.
How to Make Instant Pot Italian Chicken Breasts
- Make the sauce: In a bowl, whisk together the broth, roasted red peppers, pesto, garlic and seasonings.
- Sear the chicken: this is optional but it does add flavor. If you do sear it, be careful not to overcook the chicken since we will be cooking it further.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken in the pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook the chicken: Set the timer to 8 minutes and cook. When the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5-10 minutes and remove the chicken.
- Thicken the sauce and serve: Whisk together the cream and corn starch and add to the sauce. Cook on saute until thickened.
Instant Pot Chicken Breast FAQs
You’ll set the timer on the instant pot for 6 minutes. However, the pot will take around 10 minutes to come to pressure. During that time, the chicken will be cooking!
If you did not sear the chicken, add 2-3 minutes.
If you are using frozen chicken, add 4-5 minutes.
Yes! It’s okay if the chicken breasts are layered a bit in the instant pot. Just make sure you season them thoroughly all over so you get flavor in every bite.
Totally! Frozen chicken works great in this recipe. Just add 4-5 minutes to the cooking time. Keep in mind that frozen chicken breasts will release significantly more liquid during cooking, so you may want to drain some out before adding in the cream, otherwise it will be diluted significantly.
Absolutely! No instant pot? This recipe is as simple as ever to make on the stove as well. Simply sear the chicken in a bit of oil until golden.
Meanwhile, whisk together all of the sauce ingredients including the cream and corn starch and add to the chicken. Simmer until sauce is thickened and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F.
Yes! To make these chicken breasts in the slow cooker, simply add the chicken into the crockpot. Whisk together all of the sauce ingredients, pour the sauce over the chicken, then cook for 2 hours on high or for 3-4 hours on low.
Leftover chicken and cream sauce will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw overnight in the fridge if frozen, then warm on low on the stove until heated through.
Tips and Notes
- Strain it. Straining the broth after cooking is optional, but it does remove any excess fat leftover after cooking.
- Check the temp. Finished chicken should be 165ºF. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature before serving!
- Lighten it up. You can use a lighter cream or even evaporated milk in this recipe. Keep in mind that the higher the fat content of the cream you use, the richer the sauce will be.
- Add veggies. Feel free to add veggies into the pot to make this into a one-pot meal. Try mushrooms, zucchini, or broccoli! You could also round it out with a simple side salad.
We love these. Creamy Italian Instant Pot Chicken Breasts over egg noodles, but the options for serving are endless! Try them over rice, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, or slice them up and use them in quesadillas, pizza, or sandwiches!
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Creamy Italian Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup heavy cream (see notes above)
- 1 ½ tablespoons corn starch
- Whisk together the broth, roasted red peppers, pesto, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- (OPTIONAL) Turn the Instant Pot to saute. When it reads "hot", drizzle oil in the bottom. Sear the chicken breasts on each side for 2 minutes until light golden brown. This step is optional but does add flavor. Be careful not to overcook!
- Place the chicken on the trivet (again, optional! You can also cook it right in the sauce) and add the sauce.
- Place lid on the Instant Pot and turn valve to sealing. Select Manual, high pressure (the default), and set the timer to 6 minutes. The pressure cooker will take about 10 minutes to build pressure and begin counting down. *If you did not sear the chicken, add 2-3 minutes. For frozen chicken, add 4-5 minutes.
- Once the cook time is over, turn the Instant Pot off and let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then do a quick release and open the lid.
- Remove the chicken breasts and place on a cutting board or serving platter. Turn the Instant Pot to saute. (OPTIONAL: strain the broth if there is fat left over)
- Stir together cream and corn starch and add to the pot. Whisk and cook for 3-4 minutes, until thickened. Add chicken back to the sauce or serve with the sauce over top if desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel