This easy Taco Soup is made with just 6 ingredients and minimal prep! It’s hearty and comes together in 30 minutes or less.
Our next soup recipe in my 6 Ingredient Suppers series is this ridiculously easy Taco Soup.
I’m going to be totally honest and say that when I dumped the 6 ingredients for this Taco Soup into the pot I thought to myself, “this probably won’t be that great”, because how can you make a good soup, of all things, with just 6 ingredients?
Soup is one of those things that seems to always require a ton of ingredients, prep, chopping, and also a lot of time simmering away on the stove or in the crockpot.
But when I tasted it, I was sort of amazed.
It had great flavor — some spice from the taco seasoning and the salsa, some sweetness from the corn and the salsa, the beef and beans made it hearty and filling.
Add some toppings of your choice and it is one of our new favorite dinners!
Now obviously with a 6 ingredient recipe there are lots of ways to add little extras, and I will never judge you for taking a simple recipe and making it your own! (and I’ve included lots of ideas down below).
But this easy Taco Soup is also an incredible meal all on its own 😉
If you loved the Slow Cooker Vegetarian Burritos or Italian Beef from 6 Ingredient Slow Cooker meals, you’ll love this Taco Soup!
How to make Instant Pot Taco Soup:
This Taco Soup is easily made in the Instant Pot!
- Brown your ground beef in the Instant Pot on saute.
- Add your broth and scrape the bottom to remove any bits.
- Add the remaining ingredients and select pressure cook on high for 2 minutes.
- When the cook time is over, let the pressure release naturally for at least 5-10 minutes (just because soup can be very steamy), then open the valve and remove the lid to serve.
How to make Crockpot Taco Soup:
This easy Taco Soup is also a perfect crockpot soup recipe!
- Brown your ground beef in a skillet, then add to a 3-4 quart slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and cook on low for 3-4 hours (you can leave it longer and it won’t hurt anything, or on high for 1.5-2 hours.
How to make Chicken Taco Soup:
If you want to swap the ground beef for chicken, you can!
Add all of the ingredients to a large pot and throw in two whole, raw chicken breasts. Simmer over medium-low heat until chicken is tender.
Remove chicken breasts, shred, and add back into the soup to serve.
More variations on this easy Taco Soup recipe:
- When I’m serving this to my kids, I stir in some heavy cream to cool it off and reduce the spice.
- You can stir in some tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes for a thicker soup.
- Use spicy or mild salsa for more or less heat.
- Add in additional veggies if desired: mushrooms, peppers, spinach, or whatever you think you’d like to eat in your taco soup!
- Add in some quick rice and simmer for 5-10 minutes, or long grain rice and simmer 20-30 minutes until tender for a thicker soup.
- Rice is also a great swap for the meat if you want to make this Taco Soup vegetarian but still stick-to-your-ribs hearty.
- Top it up! For me, this soup is all about the toppings, but toppings are optional and additional ingredients. Try cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado, fresh tomato and lime wedges.
More easy soup recipes you’ll love!
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Crockpot Potato Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Beef and Barley Soup
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 540 ml canned black beans drained and rinsed (19oz)
- 341 ml canned sweet corn with juice (12oz)
- 1 cup mild tomato salsa
- 1 teaspoon low sodium taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large soup pot, brown ground beef over medium heat. Drain any excess fat if desired.
- Add broth, beans, corn, salsa, taco seasoning and salt. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Serve with optional toppings: tortilla chips, shredded cheese, avocado, lime wedges, or sour cream.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel
Jayne R. Muich says
My family & I really loved this recipe! My only change was adding a cup of medium salsa in place of the cup of water in the sauce recipe. It added r
thickness and a little spice to the sauce!
The Recipe Rebel says
Hi Jayne! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this kind review!
I made this tonight and my family loved it!
The Recipe Rebel says
Hi Victoria! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this kind review!
Mary Tognazzini says
TONIGHT OVER MICROWAVE POLENTA.
Debbie Smith says
I just made this recipe and it was delicious. I used Herdez Salsa Casera in a jar for the salsa and it was just wonderful. Very easy to make and definitely worth making again.
Ashley Fehr says
Thanks Debbie! I’m glad you liked it!