This easy Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe is make-ahead and freezer friendly and ready in just 30 minutes! It’s rich and creamy with a kick of heat, loaded with shredded chicken, and topped off with gooey mozzarella cheese.
Table of Contents
I’m not going to lie to you…while my husband was ecstatic when I started testing this buffalo chicken dip recipe, I was slightly less eager. While it sounds delicious, I was worried it was going to be way too spicy. I just can’t handle as much spice as he can so, when it comes to dips, I’m usually more of a chicken alfredo dip type of gal.
I quickly learned that the great thing about buffalo chicken dip is that not only is it super delicious and so easy to make, but it’s also incredibly easy to customize! You can crank up the heat or mellow it out depending on your heat tolerance.
This dip makes the perfect appetizer for parties, holiday dinners, or game days! It’s quick to make and can be prepped ahead of time, then thrown in the oven before you’re ready to serve.
You can even make two batches and stash one in the freezer to plan ahead for holiday get-togethers!
Love creamy dips? You’ll also love this Taco Dip!
Ingredients for buffalo chicken dip
- Cream Cheese: bring the cream cheese to room temperature before you mix it into the dip to ensure there are no clumps.
- Buffalo Wing Sauce: you can adjust the amount of wing sauce you use depending on your spice preferences.
- Ranch Dressing: blue cheese dressing would work as well.
- Chicken Breast: or any cooked chicken you have on hand. If you have leftover Crockpot Shredded Chicken, Instant Pot Shredded Chicken or stove top Shredded Chicken — that’s perfect!
- Mozzarella Cheese: cheddar cheese will work as well.
- Blue Cheese Crumbles and Green Onions: for garnish!
How to make buffalo chicken dip
This delicious appetizer comes together in a total of 30 minutes!
- Combine the ingredients: Mix together cream cheese, buffalo wing sauce, and 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake: Transfer the mixture to a greased 6-8″ round baking dish and top with another cup of cheese. Bake at 350ºF for 20-30 minutes, then broil for 2-3 minutes to brown the cheese.
Buffalo chicken dip FAQS
You can really use any cooked chicken you like in this recipe which makes it a great way to use up leftovers! No leftovers? Use this Slow Cooker Chicken Breast or Baked Chicken Breast to make quick work of prepping the chicken.
Absolutely! If you’re transporting this appetizer to a party, the crockpot is a super convenient way to cook and transport it. Simply mix everything together, spread it into a greased slow cooker, and let it cook on low for 2-3 hours. If you want to cook it longer, cook on warm instead of low.
Yes! This dip is a breeze to make in advance. Simply prepare as directed, but don’t bake. Instead, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. When you’re ready to serve, uncover and bake as directed.
Leftover dip will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. To reheat, warm in the microwave or bake until heated through.
It can! To freeze the dip, spread it into a freezer-safe container and cover it tightly with a layer of plastic wrap and a layer of foil or a lid. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve, thaw in the fridge overnight and bake as directed. You can also bake from frozen by placing the baking dish in the oven while it’s preheating and continuing to bake as directed, provided that your container is freezer-to-oven safe.
- Make it vegetarian. Swap the shredded chicken for finely chopped, cooked cauliflower for a meatless option.
- Use another cheese. I love the flavor of mozzarella to top of this dip, but cheddar would also be delicious. If you can’t decide, just use a combination of both!
- Spice it up. Love the heat? Just add an extra quarter cup of buffalo sauce or a ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Make it less spicy. You can bring the spice level down by adding an extra half block of cream cheese or using less of the buffalo sauce.
What to serve with buffalo chicken dip
Here are a few things you can serve with this easy buffalo chicken dip:
- Crackers: This dip is great with pretty much any cracker you like! Try Triscuits, Ritz crackers, pretzels, you name it.
- Chips: Tortilla chips are a classic but I also love pita chips or Fritos.
- Veggies: Serve buffalo chicken dip next to celery, baby carrots, sliced peppers or cucumber, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.
- Bread: Serve this dip on slider buns or baguette slices. Take it up a notch and toast the bread!
More easy appetizer recipes you’ll love:
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 package cream cheese 8oz/250g, room temperature
- 1/3-1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce (⅓ for good heat, ½ for spicier)
- 1/3 cup ranch dressing (you can also sub with blue cheese dressing)
- 2 cups cook, shredded chicken breast (about 2 breasts) 300 grams
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- blue cheese crumbles and green onions for garnish, as desired
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add buffalo wing sauce and dressing and beat on medium speed until combined.
- Stir in chicken and 1 cup cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning to your taste (add more buffalo sauce to increase the spice, add more cream cheese, sour cream or dressing to reduce).
- Spread into a lightly greased 6-8" round baking dish (or something of a similar size) and top with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate to save for later, or bake as directed.
- Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes until bubbly at the edges. Broil for 2-3 minutes to brown the cheese, if desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel