These Pineapple Brown Sugar Meatballs are smothered in a homemade BBQ sauce and cook in the slow cooker, making them an easy game day appetizer, weeknight meal, or holiday potluck offering!
Thank you Reynolds and Socialstars for sponsoring this post! All opinions are my own #ReynoldsCrowd™
I just have to get this out first: I am obsessed with these Slow Cooker liners from Reynolds. Mostly because I LOVE my slow cooker but hate cleaning it. You get that, right?
So when I was offered the chance to feature them in some recipes, I couldn’t say no. My kitchen was already fully stocked with the liners and I know I’m not the only one who loves a good slow cooker recipe (these Slow Cooker Honey Sriracha Chicken Tacos or this Honey Balsamic Pulled Pork would also be great for game day!)
I have been going through a meatball phase since the beginning of December. Maybe because meatballs seem to appear around the holidays a lot, or maybe because I hadn’t made them much lately because they can be a little time consuming, but I’ve become thoroughly obsessed.
The trick is to make a huge batch and get your freezer stocked up, because having meatballs in the freezer makes meal times so much easier (and tastier!).
So that’s what I did. More than once.
And now I have a freezer full of meatballs, and my heart — and stomach — are happy. Clearly, my first slow cooker recipe had to a meatball recipe. I was toying with a bunch of different flavor combinations, but in the end I went back to this Pineapple Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce. It is completely my own creation, and it has gotten some great reviews from readers who’ve made it. Since I love pineapple with my meatballs, I knew it was going to be a great match.
I don’t really have a meatball recipe that I use on a regular basis. Normally, I add one egg for each pound of ground beef, and about ¼ cup of bread crumbs, salt and pepper. I don’t get too fancy at all. If you really want to make things quick and easy, feel free to grab a package of frozen meatballs and use those instead.
So there you have it — the Very First Meatball Recipe on The Recipe Rebel. It’s a big day, right?!? Do yourself a favor and make these for your next game day party, weeknight dinner (serve them up with some instant rice!), holiday potluck, birthday party, whatever. Just do it! And don’t forget to pick up some slow cooker liners so you can have a little giggle when you see the others soaking and scrubbing their slow cookers while you whip out the liner and trash it.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Slow Cooker Pineapple Brown Sugar Meatballs
Pineapple Brown Sugar Sauce:
- 400 ml pineapple juice 2 regular-sized juice boxes
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes or more if you like it spicy!
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tbsp corn starch
- 1-2 tbsp water
- about 40 precooked frozen meatballs (approximately 2 pounds)
- 2 medium bell peppers cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1-2 cups pineapple chunks fresh or canned, drained
- Sliced green onion or parsley for garnish
- Pineapple Brown Sugar Sauce (*can be made ahead and refrigerated):Add all ingredients except for corn starch and water to a medium pot.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to medium-low, simmering for 10-15 minutes until flavours come together.
- Mix equal parts corn starch and water. Slowly add to the sauce and stir, until you reach your desired consistency.
- Meatballs:Line a 4 quart slow cooker with a slow cooker liner and add meatballs, peppers and pineapple. Pour prepared sauce over top. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 2. You can keep in the slow cooker on Warm for another 2-3 hours.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel