These Apple Cinnamon Baked Donuts are packed with apples (healthy, right?!) and cinnamon — the perfect fall treat! Smothered in a brown sugar glaze that makes these a decadent dessert or special breakfast 🙂
So quite a while back, in the summer, I polled my Facebook group (I’d love for you to join!) about their favorite dessert flavor combinations.
And even though it was the middle of summer, apple cinnamon was easily number 1. I was a little flabbergasted! I absolutely expected chocolate to be #1, and if not chocolate then for sure lemon, right?
But I love the feedback I get there and so I’ve definitely been planning for some more apple cinnamon recipes this fall.
With my intense loving for “apple-crisping” everything, this really wasn’t much of a stretch! I already have Apple Crisp Doughnuts, Apple Crisp Pancakes, Apple Crisp Cinnamon Buns, Apple Crisp Cookies, Apple Crisp Cheesecakes and even though I have like 18 more I’m going to stop there because it’s getting to be ridiculous.
So I figured I would try to do apple without the crisp this time. I know, it’s going to take some time for you to adjust but I do have donuts, so I think you’ll get over it just fine.
I really wanted to try to use the brown sugar glaze from these Brown Sugar Pecan Cookies (because they’re amazing!), and I love the way it pairs with apples! So perfect for that bucket of apples!
- I use these donut pans from Wilton and they are cheap and work perfectly! I’ve never had any issues with sticking.
- The easiest way to fill the donut pan is to put the batter in a large disposable piping bag — there’s no mess and you can just chuck it when you’re done! I buy them bulk because I use them for everything!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Brown Sugar Glazed Apple Cinnamon Baked Donuts
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk or substitute regular milk
- 2 2/3 all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 Granny Smith or other tart apples, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/4 cup powdered icing sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans if desired.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and grease your doughnut pans well.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, oil and sugar. Add in eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk and whisk until smooth.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and stir just until combined. Stir in apples. Batter will be thick.
- Spoon batter into a large disposable piping bag or freezer bag. Cut off the end of the bag so your opening is about ½-3/4” wide. Pipe batter once around each doughnut hole – the batter should just fill the hole as they’ll expand and rise.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes before removing from the doughnut pan to cool completely.
- GlazeIn a medium pan, heat the brown sugar and milk over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes, then remove from the heat and stir in the butter until melted.
- Whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth.
- Working quickly, dip the tops of each donut in the glaze before inverting onto a wire cooling rack.
- If the glaze firms up too quickly, simply reheat over low on the stove until liquid, then remove from the heat and continue glazing. Sprinkle with walnuts or pecans if desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel