This White Chicken Chili is ultra thick and creamy, with shredded chicken, white beans and corn and just the right amount of spice! Make ahead and freezer friendly, perfect for pantry cooking.
It snowed last week.
I know I shouldn’t be surprised. Manitoba is the queen of weather curveballs, but it still took us by surprise.
With all that’s going on, I’ve been craving a big comforting bowl of creamy White Chicken Chili.
This chili has just the right amount of kick thanks to Tabasco Green Sauce, it is the perfect easy dinner for a day when you just need comfort food.
Tabasco’s Green Sauce is one of the mildest Tabasco sauces, and is the perfect way to add flavor without adding heat. My husband puts it on everything!
The fact that this White Chicken Chili is ready in 30 minutes or less with mostly pantry ingredients means that I can actually get it on the table while chasing 3 kids around the house and fitting in 5 minutes of work at the computer here and there, which is a must these days!
And because simple meals are going to be the name of the game for some time around here, so I’m giving you a head start on your meal planning by including two other recipes you can use this chili in down below.
That means you can make a double or triple batch, and use it as a base to create fresh, easy meals for the family through the week!
How to make Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili:
You can easily make this Chicken Chili in the crockpot to make it even easier to fit in your day!
I do things a little differently when I make this chicken chili in the slow cooker, simply because if I’m using my slow cooker I don’t want to be babysitting it all day. I throw everything in the pot and let the chicken cook with everything else, then shred it later.
- Throw everything in the slow cooker
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours, until chicken is cooked through and falling apart.
- Remove chicken breasts and shred, then stir back into the chili.
How to thicken white bean chicken chili:
We thicken this creamy chicken chili with two things: cream cheese and corn starch.
The cream cheese adds a wonderful richness without making this chili heavy. If you don’t have any, that’s fine! I’ll share some other things you can add in the next section.
The corn starch is optional, but we love our chili super thick and creamy, so we like to add it. If you skip the corn starch, it will still be perfectly creamy but not quite as thick.
Another way to thicken white chicken chili if you don’t have cream cheese or corn starch, is to keep some of the white beans aside, and puree them in a blender before adding into the chili. This is a great way to make this chili dairy free!
Variations and substitutions for this Chicken Chili recipe:
- Don’t have chicken breasts? Chicken thighs, meat from a rotisserie chicken, ground chicken or turkey all work well in here!
- Don’t have white beans? Throw in whatever beans you have!
- No green chiles? Leave them out and bump up the Tabasco Green Sauce for an extra punch of flavor.
- Have another variety of Tabasco sauce but not the green jalapeno? Throw that in and adjust to your tastes.
How to store chili:
In the refrigerator:
Chicken Chili can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
In the freezer:
Chili is a great freezer meal! It can be frozen up to 3 months before using, so even if you aren’t using it to make these extra meals this week, it’s still a good idea to make a large batch and save some for another day.
Got leftovers? Two more ways to use this White Chicken Chili!
We’re all about cooking once and eating multiple times around here, so I thought I’d include a few new ways to use this chili if you have leftovers.
This Chili Cheese Lasagna can be time consuming to make, so swap the original chili for this Creamy White Chicken Chili for a creamy lasagna twist your family won’t be able to get enough of!
This Chili Shepherd’s Pie is another favorite around here, but this White Chicken Chili would take it to the next level!
*This post is generously sponsored by Tabasco Canada and I was compensated for my time in creating this recipe. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Recipe Rebel possible! Find more chili recipes on tabascosauce.ca or by following @TabascoCanada on social media.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
White Chicken Chili
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 540 ml canned white kidney beans (19oz) drained and rinsed
- 341 ml canned corn (12oz), drained
- 127 ml canned green chiles (4.3oz)
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco Green Sauce
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Add chicken breasts and chicken broth to a 3-4 quart dutch oven or soup pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce to medium low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until cooked through and tender.
- Remove chicken breasts from pot and shred with two forks on a large cutting board. Place shredded chicken back in the pot with the chicken broth.
- Add beans, corn, green chiles, Tabasco sauce, chili powder, onion powder, salt and stir.
- Cut cream cheese into cubes and stir into the pot. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir to melt the cream cheese. If desired, stir together corn starch and water and add to chili to thicken further.
- Serve with additional Tabasco sauce, chips, avocado, lime wedges, salsa, cheese, jalapenos — whatever your favorite toppings are!
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel