This Sausage Potato Soup with Kale can be made on the stove or in the slow cooker! It’s hearty and comforting and made with incredibly flavorful smoked sausage!
Table of Contents
You knew this would happen once January hit, right?
Ashley is busting out all the soup recipes, all the time. To be honest, I think I have a new soup recipe coming every week this month, and with how many new ones popped up here in the fall, you can just call this here Soup Central.
This Sausage Potato Soup is made with kale, and some carrots, celery, and onions for good measure.
But the star here? It’s the smoked sausage.
What’s to love about this Sausage Potato Soup?
- it’s relatively quick and easy (the hardest part is chopping everything!)
- it only dirties one pot
- no precooking the meat!
I know that a lot of people cook smoked sausages in the summer like hot dogs and don’t really use them throughout the year, but we love the flavor they add to pretty much everything.
And the fact that I don’t have to cook the meat in this recipe separately and can just throw it in with everything else? Makes it a total win.
Variations on this Sausage Potato Soup:
- You can make this potato soup recipe dairy-free by skipping the splash of cream at the end — everything else is good to go!
- This sausage potato soup is naturally gluten-free, but be sure to double check all of your labels, particularly the sausages as many brands will include wheat.
- You can lighten up this soup recipe by using smoked turkey sausages, or make it lower carb by swapping the potatoes for cauliflower.
How to make this Sausage Potato Soup in the slow cooker:
- OPTIONAL: cook onion, carrot, celery and spices in a medium pan with canola oil over medium-high heat until onions are translucent. Add to slow cooker.
- If you’re skipping the step above, just skip the oil and add the vegetables, spices, potatoes, kale, sausages and chicken broth to a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours, until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Serve with a splash of cream if desired.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Sausage Potato Soup with Kale
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and finely diced
- 1 rib celery sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1.5 lbs potatoes about 6 medium, peeled and diced
- 2 cups finely chopped kale
- 2 smoked sausages halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- A splash of cream if desired
- Heat a medum skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, onion, carrots and celery and cook until onions are softened and translucent. Add garlic, salt, thyme and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Add potatoes, kale, sausages, and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce to medium heat and cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring often, until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Serve with a splash of cream, if desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel