This Apple Coffee Cake with Crumb Topping is the perfect fall breakfast or dessert — Greek yogurt makes it so moist and it’s loaded with apples and the best crunchy brown sugar streusel!
Recipe posted first on The Recipe Critic.
This coffee cake, you guys.
It’s all of my favorite fall things in one delicious, easy, make ahead package! We have a moist Greek yogurt coffee cake (this Lemon Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake is another one of our favorites!), absolutely loaded with apples (go for the Granny Smiths or another firm baking apple!), and piled high with crunchy, brown sugar streusel topping. Is there anything better?
Personally, I think September is pretty much the best month of the year, and it’s not just because it’s my birthday month 😉 The evenings cool off, but you still get a solid amount of gloriously warm days and sunshine. The leaves start turning, but nothing is dead and brown yet (besides my attempt at a garden, but that’s another story altogether.). And all over people are breaking out the apples and the pumpkin.
If you know me at all, you know my preference is apples over pumpkin any day (the pumpkin goodies I bake mostly go to the husband), and this apple coffee cake is joining the list of my favorites along with these Brown Sugar Glazed Apple Cinnamon Baked Donuts, Praline Glazed Apple Bundt Cake, and — oh my WORD, you guys — this Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Pudding Cake from earlier this year.
I’d love to hear what your favorite apple baked goodies are!
Tips and Tricks for Making this Apple Coffee Cake with Crumb Topping:
- This coffee cake is fairly deep and it takes a while to bake — don’t worry, and don’t remove it before it’s done! The apples keep everything nice and moist instead.
- I like to bake my coffee cakes in a 9″ Springform pan, but you could definitely bake it in a 9×13″ cake pan, too — you may just want to check at 40 minutes bake time, and then check every 5 minutes.
- If you want big crumbs, squeeze the streusel dough together to form a clump, then break off larger pieces and sprinkle over the cake. For finer crumbs, simply crumble the streusel dough over top the cake.
Apple Coffee Cake with Crumb Topping Recipe
This Apple Coffee Cake with Crumb Topping is the perfect fall breakfast or dessert -- Greek yogurt makes it so moist and it's loaded with apples and the best crunchy brown sugar streusel!
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 cup plain 0% Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour I use half whole wheat, fluffed and scooped
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9" Springform pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oil and brown sugar with a whisk until combined. Add yogurt, eggs and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Add flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt and stir just until moistened. Stir in apples and spread into prepared pan.
- To make the streusel, stir together butter, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon until a crumbly dough forms. Sprinkle over top the cake batter (see notes above for how to get nice, big clusters!).
- Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. If the top is browning too quickly, simply cover with a piece of tin foil for the remaining bake time.
- Cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 24 hours, or in the refrigerator up to 5 days. It also freezes perfectly, up to 3 months.