This easy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole recipe is a hearty, insanely delicious meal that’s just as good for dinner as it is for an easy breakfast!
Table of Contents
You guys, I have big love for tater tots.
It’s kind of an embarrassing obsession, and I’ll confess that even though I have a stash of tater tots in the freezer we go through maybe 1 or 2 bags in a year.
I guess because they’re not the healthiest choice, and generally we do eat pretty healthy.
We focus on cooking with single ingredient foods or the healthiest convenience options, and don’t eat a lot of pre-fried frozen foods.
The bags of frozen fries? No temptation at all. They’re either too hard and crunchy or they’re not crunchy at all.
But the tater tots? Bake them at a nice high heat and they are all crispy crunchy, melt in your mouth perfection.
Anyone hungry yet?
This easy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is not a bad option for a healthy breakfast, because we do have lots of protein and a variety of vegetables (and you can add more in if you life). I’ve also included some extra ideas down below for making this breakfast casserole even healthier.
But also? It’s just totally delicious.
Savory and smoky and crispy and cheesy and absolutely the thing your brunch table has been missing up until now.
Easter brunch? Yes, I think so!
For me, the best part of this tater tot breakfast casserole are the tater tots, so I like to put them front and center!
There are some who would mix the tater tots right into the casserole, but in my opinion you don’t really get the same crunch and satisfaction if you do that 😉 I love to put them up top so they bake up golden in the oven!
Layer your meat, veggies and cheese in the bottom of a greased baking dish, then pour over your egg mixture. Top with your tater tots and bake until everything is set!
- Add in extra vegetables.
- Choose turkey sausage or ham instead of pork sausage or bacon.
- Try using cauliflower or sweet potato tots in your frozen veggie aisle and use those instead.
- Choose a low fat milk instead of whole
- Try a low fat cheese.
- If you are feeding someone who prefers lower carb recipes, simply omit a couple rows of the tater tots.
There are so many ways to make this easy breakfast casserole even easier by prepping ingredients ahead:
- Chop all vegetables
- Cook and chop all meat
- Shred your cheese.
- If you like, you can complete everything up until the point of adding the tater tots the day before, then cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. I don’t like to add the tater tots until I’m baking because I want them crispy!
- Sausage Egg Casserole: Oven or Instant Pot Breakfast
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
- Make Ahead Breakfast Quesadillas 4 Ways
- Easy Ham Quiche Recipe
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
- 14 breakfast sausage links cooked and sliced (300g)
- 1 bell pepper finely diced (80g)
- 1 cup fresh spinach finely chopped (40g)
- 1/4 cup green onions sliced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (85g)
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 70 tater tots (575g)
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- Lightly grease a 9×13″ baking dish with non stick spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Layer sausages, peppers, spinach, green onions, and cheese in the baking dish. Do not stir.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, parsley and pepper. Pour over the vegetables in baking dish.
- Top with rows of tater tots to cover the dish (they will sit about half way down in the egg mixture) and sprinkle with seasoning salt. Bake for 40-45 minutes until eggs are completely set and tots are golden.
- Slice and serve.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel