A super creamy macaroni and cheese with a bit of kick from green chiles! Only 6 ingredients, one pot and 20 minutes!
This is my first sample combination using my Ultimate Mix and Match One Pot Pasta Guide from last week. I’ve got 3 more examples of ways to mix and match the different elements coming up the rest of the week!
I’m going to keep things simple and go through the different elements one by one so you can see what I used and how you can change things up to suit your tastes.
I used whole wheat macaroni, just because I always go the healthier route when possible. You can definitely use white pasta! I’ve found that it doesn’t really change the 1:1 pasta to liquid ratio. If anything, you might need to add a little liquid at the end of the cook time if you use whole wheat, but you might not have to with the white pasta.
I made a huge batch of this macaroni! I wanted to test out the capacity of the Jumbo Cooker a bit. I usually make 4 cups of short pasta but this time I made 6. I used 4 cups of 1% milk and 2 cups of chicken broth, and I ended up adding a little extra milk at the end of the cooking time. If you want to make things even lighter, you can swap out some of the milk for broth. Or you can go the other route and use all whole milk. I personally like to use some broth or water because otherwise the sauce gets really thick and I find it doesn’t reheat as well.
I didn’t use any meat, but chicken would be a great addition if you so desired!
I only added some canned diced green chiles and a sprinkle of parsley on top. Feel free to mix things up however you want!
I used all cheddar cheese, but there’s no reason you couldn’t swap it out for your favorite!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Easy One Pot Green Chile Macaroni and Cheese
- 6 cups macaroni see original post for weights
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable)
- 4 cups 1% milk plus additional 1/2-1 cup if needed
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can diced green chiles
- In a large pot, combine the macaroni, broth, milk and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce to medium heat and continue cooking, uncovered, stirring often, until sauce is thickened and pasta is tender, about 15 minutes (if sauce is thickened before pasta is cooked, continue gradually adding ½-1 cup additional milk or liquid and cooking until pasta is tender).
- Remove from heat and stir in green chiles and cheddar cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel