This No Bake Nanaimo Bar Cheesecake has all of the familiar flavors of the classic Nanaimo bar but in an easy no bake cheesecake! The perfect Christmas dessert (but I won’t tell if you indulge year round!). Includes step by step recipe video.
Happy December friends! I am continuing on my quest to turn all of my favorite Christmas treats into a cheesecake with this No Bake Nanaimo Bar Cheesecake — maybe my favorite so far (although this No Bake Peanut Butter Marshmallow Square Cheesecake is equally as delicious!).
Naniamo Bars are just one of my favorite classic Canadian treats (friends, we have some incredible eats up here!) and they originated in Nanaimo, B.C.. Makes sense, right??
For this cheesecake, I have borrowed the base for this cheesecake from the Nanaimo Bar recipe on Nanaimo’s web site, although I have simplified the method a little to suit my lazy girl baking style.
On top of that, we have a silky smooth no bake cheesecake, with a good amount of Bird’s Custard Powder for that classic flavor. I honestly don’t even know what you would use for a substitute if you couldn’t find it — it’s so readily available here that it’s not an issue! I supposed you could swap it for an equal amount of instant vanilla pudding mix, just don’t tell any self-respecting Canadian you did so.
And on top of that? A silky smooth dark chocolate ganache.
If there is one dessert you need to make this holiday season, this is it friends. It comes together so easily and will totally wow your guests!
Watch the recipe video and see how easy it is to make!
Tips and Tricks for Making this No Bake Nanaimo Bar Cheesecake:
- If you can’t find Bird’s Custard Powder in stores, you can order it on Amazon here (and I get a few pennies for telling you that).
- If you’re smarter than me, you’ve figured out that the toasted almonds and coconut I used as garnish would actually adhere better had I added them when the chocolate was warm. So feel free to go ahead and do that 😉
No Bake Nanaimo Bar Cheesecake Recipe + VIDEO
This No Bake Nanaimo Bar Cheesecake has all of the familiar flavors of the classic Nanaimo bar but in an easy no bake cheesecake! The perfect Christmas dessert (but I won't tell if you indulge year round!). Includes step by step recipe video.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut (unsweetened will work fine)
- 3 (8oz) packages cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Bird’s custard powder
- 1 cup heavy whipping (35%) cream
- 1 1/2 cups powdered icing sugar
- 1 cup (150g) chopped chocolate (I recommend semisweet)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a large pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in sugar and cocoa.
- Gradually whisk in egg, stirring constantly. The heat from the pan and the butter will cook the egg as you stir (no raw eggs!).
- Stir in graham crumbs, almonds, and coconut until combined. Press firmly into a 9" Springform pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add custard powder, cream and sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Pour into Springform pan over crust and refrigerate (or pop in the freezer) to chill slightly.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and cream in 15-20 second intervals, stirring well each time, until smooth (be careful NOT to overheat the chocolate or it will seize!).
- Remove cheesecake from the fridge or freezer and pour over top, smoothing to the edges. Refrigerate until completely set, at least 5-6 hours, before serving. Refrigerate leftovers up to 3-4 days or freeze up to 3 months.
*If the cheesecake is difficult to cut without the chocolate cracking, place in the freezer for 2-3 hours before slicing.