This Creamy Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe is a healthy dinner recipe that’s easy enough for any day of the week! It’s made in the pressure cooker which means BIG flavour and quick cooking. Loaded with vegetables and easily made dairy free or vegetarian. Includes step by step recipe video.
If you hang out on Instagram much, you know that January is Instant Pot month here. After 9 months off it sitting in the cupboard and me avoiding it, I gave it a permanent spot on the counter and am determined to figure out what is so special about this beast. This Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup was one of the first things I made!
I started out with some ridiculously easy recipes (like these Instant Pot Baked Potatoes, a tutorial on How to Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot, and Instant Pot Taco Meat from Frozen Ground Beef!), and I’m slowly working on making some of my favourite TRR recipes into Instant Pot recipes, too. I would love to hear what your favourite things to make are or some recipes you’d like to see here next!
It has been cold here this January.
We’re talking -35, -40 degrees Celsius with the windchill. Things have finally started to mellow out a bit, but for the first couple weeks all I wanted was giant bowls of comfort food. What’s better than chicken noodle soup?
I have one other chicken noodle soup recipe on The Recipe Rebel — also a creamy slow cooker version (you can see it here, but be prepared because the photos badly need updating!), and it was really time to add another.
There isn’t much difference in the ingredients here, but this recipe doesn’t take 8 hours 😉
I think soups and stews are one of the easiest things to make in the Instant Pot if you’re just starting out. They’re going to have enough liquid that it will easily come to pressure and you won’t get that concerning “burn” message flashing on the screen, and you can get that “slaved-all-day” flavour in just 5-10 minutes.
I’ve got some important tips and a few different cooking options for this recipe, so be sure to give a read through the tips and the recipe instructions before beginning!
Tips and Tricks for Making this Creamy Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup:
- You can add the chicken fresh or frozen to the Instant Pot and it won’t really make a difference in cooking time. Frozen chicken breasts slice really easily, which is a plus if it was one of those days where you forgot to take anything out for supper ahead of time!
- You can easily mix up the veggies and add peppers, mushrooms, etc. — whatever suits your fancy! You can even leave out the chicken and made it a vegetarian noodle soup.
- To make this soup dairy-free, simply leave out the milk. If you want to thicken it slightly, you can do so but substituting the milk with an additional cup of broth and corn starch.
- To make this soup gluten-free, simply use gluten-free pasta.
- If you are using a large cut of pasta or whole grain pasta, your veggies may get quite soft in the last step. You can try cooking the pasta before adding to the soup or adding them with the vegetables and chicken in the first step (4-5 minutes cook time is plenty for pasta)
Watch the recipe video and see how easy it is to make!
Creamy Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 3 large carrots peeled and sliced (not too thin)
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup short pasta such as Ditalini or Orzo
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- To the Instant Pot, add carrots, celery, spinach, chicken, parsley, salt, thyme, garlic powder, black pepper and chicken broth. Stir well.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the valve to sealing. Press Manual, leave on High pressure, and use the arrows to select a cook time of 4-5 minutes (4 minutes for veggies with more bite, 5 minutes for tender veggies). It will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure and start counting down.
- When the cook time is over, turn the Instant Pot off. Do a quick release of the pressure and open the lid.
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute and add the pasta. Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes until pasta is al dente.
- Whisk together the milk and corn starch and stir into the soup -- it will thicken immediately and continue to thicken as it sits and cools. Serve.