This Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles is an easy and comforting dinner, made with NO cream soup! Real ingredients and very little prep. With step by step recipe video down below.
Table of Contents
It’s the first Monday in April so we’re kicking off another new theme in my series Six Ingredient Suppers! By popular request, we’re doing a month all about the Instant Pot, and I have to say — I’m excited!
I’ve been a little stuck in slow cooker mode and I’m pumped to do more experimenting with my Instant Pot. Summer is coming and quick, easy meals are a must!
Chicken and noodles is one of life’s greatest comfort foods if you ask me.
Tender, shredded chicken coated in gravy and served with egg noodles — it’s like the weeknight version of the ultimate chicken dinner.
One of the best parts about this Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles is that it’s made completely in one pot, with just 6 ingredients!
The hands on time is seriously minimal, which is great if you need a homemade dinner without a lot of effort. (<– me, basically every night of the week).
The other best part?
My kids gobble this up with zero complaints.
And in spite of the fact that it’s a creamy pasta dish, it’s relatively healthy. See my tips below for adding in extra veggies or my serving suggestions if you want to serve some on the side.
Variations on this Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles:
- You can swap the chicken breasts for thighs if you prefer dark meat — the recipe won’t change! Just use boneless, skinless chicken thighs and proceed with the recipe as written.
- You can add in extra veggies to round out this meal — frozen peas or carrots or sauteed mushrooms are great added in with the pasta, or steamed broccoli just before serving.
- Don’t have chicken broth? You can substitute for vegetable broth or combine water and chicken bouillon to make a chicken broth substitute. I don’t recommend using water as the chicken broth adds the most substantial flavor to the sauce.
Can I use leftover cooked, shredded chicken in this recipe?
If you already have cooked, shredded chicken, simply proceed with the recipe from the second cook time and throw everything in the pressure cooker together.
What to serve with Chicken and Noodles:
We often serve this Chicken and Noodles with a side salad or fresh veggies if we’re short on time and don’t want to make a side dish.
How to make Crockpot Chicken and Noodles:
This recipe is actually inspired by my original Crockpot Chicken and Noodles recipe right here <– you can get all the details on making this in the slow cooker over there.
Tools you’ll need to make this Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles:
- You’ll need a 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker for this recipe. I use a 6 quart and haven’t tested this recipe in an 8 quart Instant Pot, but the recipe should work just the same with no need for additional liquid.
- You shouldn’t need any other special tools — some people like to shred their chicken with a hand mixer but I find no point, as it just requires two forks and a couple minutes to do it by hand.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1½ lbs)
- 2 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups extra broad egg noodles (180g)
- ¾ cup cream (any will do, the richer the cream, the richer the sauce)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Cut chicken breasts into small pieces.
- Heat oil in Instant Pot over saute and add the chicken, cooking and stirring until just cooked on the outside (2-3 minutes).
- Stir in Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Add broth and scrape any remaining bits of chicken off the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add egg noodles but do not stir. Simply press down into the liquid gently, but don't worry if they're not completely covered.
- Put the lid on, turn the valve to sealing, and select Manual or Pressure cook on high pressure, for a cook time of 2 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes to build pressure and begin counting down.
- Once the cook time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, and then open the valve to release the remaining pressure. Letting the pressure release naturally completely will result in overcooked pasta.
- Whisk together the cream and corn starch. Add it to the pasta and cook on saute for 2-3 minutes until bubbly and thickened. Serve.
- You can swap the chicken breasts for boneless, skinless chicken thighs or pre-cooked Shredded Chicken.
- Feel free to add in veggies! Frozen peas, carrots and corn work well, as do broccoli (steam it separately if you like it more firm) and chopped spinach. You can saute onion and celery with the chicken if you like to add even more flavor.
- This is a simple chicken and noodles recipe, with chicken and egg noodles in a creamy chicken gravy. Feel free to mix it up by adding a spoonful of pesto, some Cajun seasoning, Ranch seasoning, or something else from your spice drawer you love.
- Be careful not to stir too much once the pasta is cooked — we don’t want it to become mushy!
- This recipe is for dry, uncooked egg noodles. Fresh or frozen egg noodles may become overcooked.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel