This Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup is made with just SIX ingredients in the slow cooker! With 5 minutes prep, it’s an easy healthy dinner idea for busy weeknights. Full step by step video down in the recipe card.
Table of Contents
Today’s 6 Ingredient Slow Cooker Supper is a new favorite around here!
This Chicken Taco Soup has a creamy touch that we all love — it’s got spicy, it’s got sweet corn, juicy shredded chicken, and a bit of creamy indulgence.
One of our favorite things about this Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup is being able to load it up with all of our favorite taco toppings:
- crushed tortilla chips or tortilla strips
- shredded cheese
- fresh tomatoes or avocado
- sliced jalapenos (for the hubs)
- a dollop of sour cream
- lime wedges
- cilantro (for us? No thanks!)
Just like taco night, this chicken taco soup is all about accessorizing to make it your own 😉
Because we’re keeping these simple dinner recipes to just six ingredients, all of them count! Here are some tips on how I keep my ingredient list short, and what you can use for substitutions.
- Chicken breasts: the chicken breasts go in raw and are simmered until tender and juicy. This way, all of the flavor from the chicken goes into the soup! You can substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the breasts if you prefer.
- Beans: I like to use canned chili style beans if I have them, because they add lots of extra flavor. You can substitute for canned (rinsed) black beans if you prefer.
- Canned Corn: for this recipe, I opt to use canned corn because the juices in the can add a nice sweetness to the soup. If you only have frozen, that will be fine!
- Jarred tomato salsa: is one of our multi-purpose ingredients! It adds tomatoes, peppers, and tons of spice and flavor in one shot.
- Water: to keep this recipe to 6 ingredients, I used water as my base. With the juices from the chicken, the salsa, the chili style beans, the taco seasoning, we are not lacking in flavor by choosing water, but you can opt to use chicken or vegetable broth instead if you prefer.
- Taco seasoning: for that classic taco kick!
- Cream: a touch of cream balances out the spice perfectly.
You can definitely make this on the stove if you’re short on time or don’t have a crockpot.
If using the stove, you can also opt to brown the chicken first, then deglaze with the water for a little extra chicken flavor.
Otherwise, simply put everything in the pot and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily. This will take about 15 minutes.
You can also easily make this soup in the Instant Pot.
Put all of the ingredients except for the corn and cream into the Instant Pot, and select Manual or Pressure Cook for 10 minutes.
When the timer is up, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes and then open the valve and remove the lid.
Remove the chicken to shred, then stir back into the soup with the corn and cream and heat through (if needed, you can turn to saute to bring it back up to the temperature you desire).
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can chili-style beans (398 ml or 14oz)
- 1 can corn (with juice, 341 ml or 12oz)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup jarred tomato salsa
- 2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken breasts, beans, corn (with juice), water, salsa and taco seasoning into a 3-4 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours (a little longer is fine here, but the chicken will be cooked in about 3 hours).
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred.
- Stir chicken back into the slow cooker with the cream. Adjust seasonings to taste, then cover and heat through.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel