This Chicken Alfredo Bake is an easy meal-prep and freezer friendly dinner option! Tender pasta and chicken are tossed in homemade Alfredo sauce, topped with cheese, then baked until hot and gooey.
Table of Contents
I think we’ve probably all been in that season of life where you just can’t seem to find the time to make a home-cooked meal.
This Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake is made with just a few simple ingredients. It’s perfect for a quick dinner or meal prep option, and it’s something the whole family will love!
This Chicken Alfredo Bake is made with chicken and pasta and a super simple homemade Alfredo. I bet you already have most of this stuff on hand already!
- Chicken: you’ll need 1 pound of cooked and chopped chicken. You can cook it for this recipe, or use up leftover chicken.
- Pasta: any kind of short pasta shape will work for this recipe. Macaroni, bowtie pasta, fusilli, rotini, you name it. You can also choose between white or whole wheat.
- Cheese: for topping
- Butter: butter is the base for this perfect Alfredo sauce recipe.
- Minced Garlic: fresh or pre-minced will work. You can also substitute with half the amount in garlic powder.
- Flour: a few tablespoons of all-purpose flour helps to thicken the sauce.
- Milk and Cream: I use a combination of 1-2% milk and half-and-half to create the perfect texture and flavor.
- Seasonings: a simple combination of salt, Italian seasoning, and pepper is all you need to season your sauce.
- Parmesan: gives the Alfredo its classic salty, cheesy flavor.
How to Make this Chicken Alfredo Bake
This pasta bake is prepped and ready to be stored or baked in a quick 20 minutes. Full instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
- Melt the butter and add the garlic to wake up the flavor.
- Make the roux: Add the flour. Cook and stir until combined.
- Make the sauce: mix in milk and cream followed by seasonings and parmesan. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened and smooth.
- Mix it up and bake: Pour the sauce over the chicken and pasta mixture, then stir until fully combined. Top with mozzarella and parmesan. Cover the dish and bake until hot and bubbly. Uncover and broil to brown the cheese if desired, then serve.
One of my favorite parts about this recipe is that you can easily prepare it ahead of time to toss in the oven anytime you don’t have time to cook. To prep ahead of time, you have a couple of options:
- Refrigerator. Assemble the casserole, but don’t bake. Wrap tightly and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to serve, just follow the baking instructions.
- Freezer. Assemble the casserole without the cheese topping, and don’t bake. Cool completely, then wrap in plastic wrap and foil and store in the freezer for 2-3 months. When you’re ready to serve, add the cheese. To reheat, you have two options. First, thaw it completely in the fridge overnight, then remove the plastic wrap and follow the baking instructions (recommended for the best texture.) You can also remove the plastic wrap and bake it from frozen in the oven while it’s preheating, then add 20-30 minutes to the baking time.
Chicken Alfredo Bake FAQs
The primary difference is in the pasta used. Chicken Alfredo is Alfredo sauce tossed with chicken and any type of pasta. Fettuccine Alfredo is Alfredo sauce with fettuccine noodles specifically. It can be made with or without chicken!
You really don’t need much to give your Alfredo sauce the perfect flavor. I use a simple blend of salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. If you’re feeling creative, feel free to add in whatever seasonings your heart desires, but there’s really no need.
3 days in the fridge. reheat in the microwave or on low on the stove
Leftover baked Chicken Alfredo will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, warm smaller portions in the microwave or a larger amount on the stove.
Most leftover pastas reheat beautifully. The problem sometimes is that they dry out as they reheat. The secret to keeping chicken Alfredo moist? Just add a splash of chicken broth, milk, or cream! No dry leftovers here.
Tips and Notes
- Use any cooked chicken. You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, but I like to use chicken breasts. This recipe calls for cooked, chopped chicken, so it’s great for leftovers from a whole chicken or if you’ve made a big batch of Instant Pot Shredded Chicken or Crockpot Shredded Chicken. Don’t have leftover chicken? Throw these Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts in in the morning and they’ll be ready to go for dinner.
- Shred your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheeses can get grainy when they melt. I recommend shredding your own for the very best texture.
- Cook the pasta al dente. I recommend boiling the pasta so it’s slightly underdone. That way when you bake it it comes out perfectly; not mushy.
- Cover while baking. Covering the baking dish with foil allows the cheese to get nice and melty without burning.
- Watch closely while broiling. Broiling turns the cheese perfectly golden, but broiling too long will burn it. Keep a close eye!
- Split it up! I love to split the recipe into two 8×8 baking dishes. That way I can bake one for dinner, then store the other for another night.
- Add veggies. Feel free to boost the nutrition with any of your favorite pre-cooked veggies. Try broccoli florets, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, peas, you name it.
- Use another protein. Swap the chicken out for cooked turkey, Italian sausage, cooked shrimp, bacon, prosciutto, or even chickpeas.
- Make it vegetarian. Just leave out the chicken or swap it for a meatless variety.
- Spice it up. Give your Chicken Alfredo Bake a kick of heat with cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
This simple entree goes best with whatever super easy side dish you want! I love it alongside a simple green salad, Breadsticks, Garlic Bread, Roasted Green Beans, or a chunk of crusty buttered bread.
More Make-Ahead Casseroles You’ll Love
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Chicken Alfredo Bake
- 1 lb cooked chopped chicken (about 2-3 breasts)
- 5 cups short pasta (340-390 grams), cooked to al dente
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups milk 1-2%
- 1 ½ cups half and half cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a 9×13″ baking dish or two 8×8″ baking dishes, place chicken and pasta. Set cheese aside for topping.
Make the Alfredo Sauce:
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour until absorbed, and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and cream until combined and smooth. Stir in the salt, Italian seasoning, pepper and Parmesan cheese.
- Cook over medium-low heat, whisking frequently, until thickened and smooth.
- Pour over pasta and chicken in baking dish, stir (you can also taste here to see if you want to adjust any seasonings) and top with mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Follow directions in post above to store for later, or cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes until hot and bubbly, then broil to brown the cheese if desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel