This Cherry Cheesecake Angel Food Cake Roll is the best kind of roll cake! It’s made with light and fluffy angel food cake, and filled with a sweetened cream cheese whipped cream and cherry pie filling. It’s the ULTIMATE summer dessert! Switch up the fruit to suit your tastes. Includes step by step RECIPE VIDEO
Sometimes, when something is working, you just gotta run with it.
And these angel food cake rolls? Apparently, these are working for you just fine 😉
When I first posted this Triple Berry Angel Food Cake Roll last Spring, it went instantly viral. I mean, more instant than I have ever seen before. I think the video had 2 million views in the first 24 hours!
So back around Easter, I obviously needed a new variation, and this Pineapple Lush Angel Food Cake Roll was born. Again, another hit.
Since it’s obvious you’re down with the way this is going, I’m adding this Cherry Cheesecake Angel Food Cake Roll to the mix.
I don’t know what it is, but it’s some kind of amazing.
A close second? This No Bake White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake the world has been obsessing over — it’s worth it!
It’s also obvious that you are okay with a little cake mix magic every now and then.
I try *really* hard to keep things from scratch around here. And that’s because I think it is really important to have home cooked meals and to nourish your body with the food that you eat.
But I’m not that stubborn about it.
A cake mix thrown in here and there for ease is not going to kill you. It’s not going to turn you into an unhealthy person the second you take a bite.
It’s all going to be okay.
So while I was hesitant to share that first angel food cake roll back in the day, I am not any longer. Life is all about enjoying the things you love, in moderation if necessary, and I’m not going to feel guilty about it 😉
How to Make an Angel Food Cake Roll:
- You’ve got to start with hot cake. Don’t skip that part, as the cake will crack and not roll well.
- You’ve got to let it cool completely before you fill and roll it back up. Basically, this cake roll game here is all about patience.
- You’ve got to let it chill again (yes, again!) before you slice it, but only if you want pretty slices 😉 It will taste the same either way.
- Don’t go improvising and using another cake mix thinking it will just work out. It won’t. You need the right cake for it to roll properly, so use a cake roll recipe if you’re going to get crazy.
Watch the recipe video and see how easy this cake roll is to make!
Cherry Cheesecake Angel Food Cake Roll
- 1 angel food cake mix plus ingredients to prepare
- 1/4 cup + 3/4 cup powdered icing sugar
- 8 oz light cream cheese 1 package, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream 35%, very cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- crushed graham crackers for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 10x15x1" rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Grease lightly (optional - it will climb higher if you leave ungreased)
Prepare angel food cake mix according to package directions and spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until light golden brown. It will rise up and even above the edge of the pan but will not overflow.
Lay a clean lint-free kitchen towel on the counter and dust with 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Flip hot cake out onto the prepared towel and immediately roll up starting at the short end, with the towel inside.
Set aside to cool to room temperature, placing in the fridge or freezer if you want to speed up the process.
To make the filling, beat cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth. Add 3/4 cup powdered sugar, cream and vanilla and beat until thick and stiff peaks form. This can take some time, up to 5 minutes.
Make sure that it is completely cool and then unroll the cake. Spread with 3/4 of the cream cheese filling, and then spread with 3/4 of the cherry pie filling.
Carefully roll back up (no towel this time!), starting at the short end. Cover roll with remaining cream cheese frosting and cherry pie filling. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before slicing for clean slices.