These Cheesy Grilled Potatoes with Bacon are an EASY foil pack side dish or appetizer for summer! Make it a full meal deal by adding extra veggies or chicken. Includes step by step recipe video.
As soon as I peeked inside the foil pack I just knew. This was going to be a winner.
These Cheesy Grilled Potatoes are out of this world good. And they are so, so unbelievably easy, you’ll find yourself making them all summer long. And I won’t blame you.
They start with the most delicious Little Potatoes — use any ones you like! For this recipe I used the Terrific Trio because the colors are just gorgeous and I think summer is one time I really love to see extra color on my plate. The red, yellow and blue potatoes are just so pretty together (also — how perfect for the 4th of July?!?)!
I started my potatoes in the microwave because it just adds a little extra insurance that the potatoes will all be cooked through, especially since I like to stack my potatoes up in my foil pack! Plus it makes these a super easy, no-brainer kind of summer side dish because you know that half of them won’t be burnt by the time they’re cooked through the middle (or am I the only one with that problem??).
You can definitely parboil them instead if you prefer — ideally you want to cook them until they are close to cooked through but not quite, so that you can finish them easily on the grill without overthinking it! You can also slice and start on the grill from raw, but you may want to let them cook through, stirring occasionally, in the foil and then top with the cheese and bacon
There are tons of ways you could make these a full meal deal: add some cooked chicken, add some broccoli or some cooked corn on the cob, peppers, zucchini, you name it — it works! The one thing to keep in mind is the cook time, since the potatoes will be ready fairly quickly once they hit the grill.
However you make them your own, I’m just hoping you don’t skip the cheese 😉
Tips and Tricks for Making these Cheesy Grilled Potatoes with Bacon:
- If you want to make these a little healthier, feel free to omit the bacon and add in some extra veggies like broccoli, peppers or zucchini.
- I know that some people don’t like to use foil for cooking — feel free to use a grill-ready pan, cast iron skillet or these grilling mats instead. We have some grill mats and we love them for tricky-to-grill foods!
- The cooking time will vary greatly depending on how thickly your potatoes are sliced, how many layers you have stacked up, and the exact temperature of your grill.
*This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company as part of my ambassadorship with them — thank you for supporting the brands that keep The Recipe Rebel going!
Cheesy Grilled Potatoes with Bacon + VIDEO
- 450 grams Little Potatoes about 14 potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- 2 slices bacon cooked until crispy and crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions sliced
- Place potatoes on a large microwave-safe plate (choose potatoes that are roughly the same size) and cook on high for 3-4 minutes (very little potatoes for 3 minutes, little potatoes for 4 minutes) until somewhat tender.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat (about 350 degrees F).
- Let cool enough to touch and slice potatoes thinly.
- Lay two large sheets of aluminum foil together (or use a cast iron skillet or grill pan) and spray with cooking spray.
- Place one single layer of potatoes on top. Combine salt and pepper and sprinkle ⅓ over potatoes. Top with ⅓ cheese and ⅓ bacon.
- Repeat layers two more times until all potatoes, cheese and bacon are used. Fold up the sides (if using a skillet or pan, you may want to cover with foil to keep the heat in) and pinch the top closed. Place directly on heat, cover grill and cook for 10-20 minutes, until potatoes are tender all the way through. Open foil and sprinkle with green onions. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (this is an estimate)